jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Do you still look up words in your dictionary or do you depend on spell checker

1. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 5 years ago

Do you still look up words in your dictionary or do you depend on spell checker to do the job?

Have you ever typed a word and thought it doesn't look right only to look it up in your dictionary to find out you were correct?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

No. I use a combination of MS WORD and google :-)
    In addition I use google to look up business phone numbers as well. I can't tell you the last time I used a dictionary or yellow pages phone book!
    Frankly I'm surprised so many companies still pay to advertise in phone books.

3. Niteriter profile image77
    Niteriterposted 5 years ago

I am a seasoned codger who still uses a dictionary for protection against looking like a complete duffer. It's only weeks ago that I shelved my ragged paper-and-ink dictionary and thesaurus and took up use of the online versions.

Besides, too many spellcheckers underline my Canadian-ized spellings and scare me into thinking I might be slipping into senility. It's probable that I'm slipping anyway, but I persist in fumbling through the online resources while muttering to myself that senility is a fabrication perpetrated by the young.

4. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I trust spell-checker when it comes to spotting typos on "standard" words with spellings that I already know (but typed wrong)  (It's not exactly "trust", is it...  smile ).  If I'm not sure how to spell something I go right to an online dictionary.  I guess I like the added assurance of seeing the definition and knowing the word-in-question is the one I have in mind.

5. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I always use the dictioonary,because my spelling is abysmal, also my dictionary is in English, not the, seemingly, endless list of other derivatives of the language.  I have often looked up a word that didn't look right but it torned out that I was right first time.

1. MickS profile image74
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ha, that is absurd, a question about spelling and I've screwed up twice, - double 'o' in 'dictionary', and an 'o', where the should have been a 'u', in 'turned'.

2. suzzycue profile image93
      suzzycueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I do the same all the time. No worries.

6. Goody5 profile image78
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I use both with the dictionary as a back up. Spell checker doesn't work on everything word yet, and probably never will.

7. sherrituck profile image89
    sherrituckposted 5 years ago

I admit to using spell check but I will consult a dictionary to make sure that I am using the word in a proper fashion.

8. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I prefer the dictionary unless I am editing a long piece. I will use spell check in these cases. I have a beautiful leather-bound dictionary that was my father's which I often use, but sometimes I just search on-line. I use the dictionary more for correct usage in context , word origin, and pronunciation than I do for spelling.

9. Sassy Mami profile image61
    Sassy Mamiposted 5 years ago

I use spell check but if I want to use a word that is not often used but has the same meaning I use a dictionary....

And yes I've type a word or even a sentence that doesn't seem right only to be correct once I checked. Its crazy and irritating at times.

1. suzzycue profile image93
      suzzycueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Thanks for your input.

working