jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What are your favourite childhood books?

1. Edlira profile image65
    Edliraposted 7 years ago

What are your favourite childhood books?

What memories do they bring back if you see them now?

2. elvit profile image57
    elvitposted 7 years ago

the elves are out tonight
    sometimes i stand in front of the mirror and pull my ears a little longer, in fact sometimes i wish they are a little longer.......hahaha!

3. Donna Janelle profile image73
    Donna Janelleposted 7 years ago

All of the Dr. Seuss books. Especially Horton Hears a Who!, If I Ran the Circus, and And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street! I love all of the books he wrote!

4. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 7 years ago

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I read it when I was young and it really left an impression on me. Whenever I think about it, I reminds of all the poor and suffering children in the world.

5. lilibees profile image60
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

Do You Know How Much I Love You? A book my mom got me when I left home for the first time.

6. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Treasure Island, Ivanhoe, Dandy, Beano, and Eagle annuals, Jennings, Just William...

7. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Frankly, I don't remember being very much influenced by specific kids books, if that is what you mean by "childhood books." On the other hand, I was influenced a great deal by books from my childhood, which were not, however, childrens books.

I first started reading seriously at ten or eleven, and I started with Tarzan novels by Edgar Rice Buroughs. Of course, the television (live) show and cartoons, comic strips and comic books, and movies may have been silly presentations about the white "ape-man," or "B'wana," but the novels (as is often the case) were lenghty, comprehensive, well written and well constructed, intellectually challenging and intellectually satisfying stories of serious fantasy/action adventure literature.

Tarzan, in the novels, was a much more complex, nuanced, subtle, and therefore believable character than he was in the other methods of presentation. These books were in the "Young Adult" section of my local public library, but come to think of it, that designation "Young Adult," underrates these novels.

In my opinion, those books belong on the bookshelves with the regular adult fiction. I can also say that it was these books, from my childhood, which ignited my lifelong love of reading in general.

Ta-Ta!

8. joshmann profile image61
    joshmannposted 7 years ago

The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss.
    Great message, and a really entertaining whimsical read.

9. beeeme profile image56
    beeemeposted 7 years ago

Enid Blyton books, books about myth and legend (all cultures), most of the classics like Little Women, Treasure Island, Robin Hood, Call of the Wild...Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Little House books...and Encyclopedia Brown, the boy detective, and Sally his girl friday!

10. Dave Harris profile image74
    Dave Harrisposted 7 years ago

I used to love reading Emil and the detectives and Emil and the three twins by Erich Kastner. Also the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Treasure Island, Gullivers Travels and Eagle annuals and comics.(like MickS)

11. Sue Bond profile image72
    Sue Bondposted 7 years ago

Dr Seuss for sure.  The Scholastic books you could buy at elementary school.  Also loved the Little House on the Prairie and Enid Blyton books, as per beeeme.  Plus Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Alfred Hitchcock mysteries.  I'm sure I would have devoured the Harry Potter books (had they been around back then) with the same excitement as I did as an adult!

12. rocky99 profile image51
    rocky99posted 7 years ago

i remember the chronicle of narnia books being very interesting to me.  i think the movies about these books are great too.

working