jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Creative writing?

1. profile image47
    maskeradeposted 7 years ago

Creative writing?

Hello N.E. Wright,
    You have written that you had studied creative writing. I was wondering how do you study such a thing. What I have in mind is would you please give me some feedback for this. I am interested in writing as well and consider starting a career headed that way.

2. TomC35 profile image57
    TomC35posted 7 years ago

I am not the person you asked the question of, but I took a creative writing course in college.  Like any other course, it is a combination of reading other's material and writing your own material.

You read the works of professionals and other amateurs.  You try to learn from their nuances and tricks of the trade, without completely copping any one person's individual style. 

In a class setting you get to critique other classmate's work so it forces you to focus closely on what is right, what is wrong, and what you would personally do differently.  In return others critique your work.

You also are assigned various projects.  You can come up with your own, such as: 

Write three poems this week.  If you would like more specific suggestions for poems, write one on love, write one on nature and write one on existence. 

Write a three to ten page science fiction story in a third person perspective. 

Write a three to ten page story ground more in reality that deals with a harsh subject matter from a first person perspective.

Write a narrative about a time you felt great fear.

Also, keep a daily journal about anything  on your mind. The important thing is to keep writing.

3. N.E. Wright profile image81
    N.E. Wrightposted 7 years ago

Mascerade, please forgive me for not seeing this answer and answering it 3 weeks ago.  I truly apologize.

Okay, well, the school I went to is closed now.  That does not sound too good, but it was a great school.  Just not enough students I guess.  LOL. At least I received a computer at the end of the course.  That was cool, and useful.  LOL.

You can study online with Writer's Digest Schools.  www.writersdigest.com.   That is not where I received my diploma, but I did study with them for grammar, essay writing, and etc, and they are great.  Choose what you believe you need.  You will not regret it.

My poem THE CHANGE is the product of a homework assignment I received when I took a creative writing class at Columbia University.  I worked there as a Campus Security Officer twenty years ago.  LOL.  I was lucky.

Again, sorry I took so long to respond.  Hope this information helps finally.  LOL.

Take Care,

4. Pakmara profile image48
    Pakmaraposted 7 years ago

um, do you mean by Creative writing? are these considered to be creative ones for example? goo.gl/uSdaN