jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Are you a creative writer?

1. JRScarbrough profile image88
    JRScarbroughposted 5 years ago

Are you a creative writer?

Do you write stories and if so, what is your experience level? What do you write?

2. Emanate Presence profile image78
    Emanate Presenceposted 5 years ago

Storytelling is one of my favorite styles of writing.

I started writing as a senior in high school in 1970-71, on the staff of the newsletter 'Spilled Ink' when I wrote an interview I did with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Estes Park, Colorado and as editor of the high school literary magazine, 'Myriad'. I guess the story narrative style came out of writing hundreds of pages of personal journal.

Mostly I write true stories from my life experience. It is a joy to have new realizations as I write.

What about you, JRScarbrough?

1. JRScarbrough profile image88
      JRScarbroughposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Definitely a creative writer, although my writing has turned toward screenwriting while at Full Sail University. I’ve had some success in obtaining representation and friends in high places. You can look at http://hub.me/aeGtu for a sample.

2. Emanate Presence profile image78
      Emanate Presenceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi again J.R.

A visit to your very cool site gave me new understanding as to what you mean by creative writing. I have not written fiction but thoroughly enjoyed your creative writing example and the way you gave tips for writing more effectively.

3. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 5 years ago

I see my songs as stories. My poems tell stories. But full-story-writing (thinking here of fiction), no I don't do that. However, next year I'm going on a quest around Europe to collect people's (true) stories, live my own story, and become a "story-teller" in the process. Creativity will play a large part in my activities.

1. Emanate Presence profile image78
      Emanate Presenceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What a wonderful quest to envision! If you come through our part of Germany and we are still here, it would be marvelous to see you.

2. profile image0
      Moeskyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to. Maybe you can send me your address.

4. Shanti Perez profile image78
    Shanti Perezposted 5 years ago

Hello JRScarbrough, I have written stories since grade school, although there was a gap from my late teen years until about six years ago when I was studying other areas. I edit a literary journal based in India and have published a short story called "Krsto the Little Spy" in PANK Online. Each year for the past three years I've attended Centrum Port Townsend Writers' Conference and loved it, of course!

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

Yes. I've written science fiction, such as my books "Humanity's Edge", "Sirat: Through the Fires of Hell" and "Norn Born". I've had a number of short stories published online and in print anthologies.
    But technical writing pays the bills.

6. Ashana Armstrong profile image58
    Ashana Armstrongposted 5 years ago

Hello...I do believe I am a creative writer, though I don't have too much time to write now a days. Day dreaming is a big part of my writing process.
    Day dreaming helps me conjure up new and exciting ideas, or refurbish old ones. As I day dream, I make up a story in my head and go through the characters background stories, the plot, alternative endings, ect....I just zone out and I could be "out" for a few minutes or even longer. A good chunk of this happens when I am walking a familiar path, or during class. I also have to give credit to my friends as well, because we'll create these crazy stories out of nowhere and we just have fun with it.
    I like to write short stories and poems and have been doing so since I was a kid.

7. JRScarbrough profile image88
    JRScarbroughposted 5 years ago

I’ve had some success in creative writing. I am friends with Jeanne Bowerman who writes a column for Script Mag and also am a friend and business associate for TJ Martin who is the writer and director of The Donner Party starring Crispin Glover amongst others.

I feel creative writing is my destiny and have been studying screenwriting at Full Sail University and have studied English Composition in the past. I am know as Persistent Pen at persistentpen.com.

It is good to meet all of you. Stick with it, it does pay off in the end.

8. mydubstepstudio profile image60
    mydubstepstudioposted 4 years ago

I mainly write informational content, but the funny thing is that writing stories is so much funner and it flows much more easily. And not only that but informational writing and story telling abilities can help eachother greatly because everyone knows that some of the best ways to convey information is to tell it in a story.

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

I do write fantasy at times and have one of my books published on this site.  I have been writing since the late 1990s and have some short stories and two books published.