jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the genre name for books such as "Choose Your Own Adventure?

1. ptosis profile image76
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

What is the genre name for books such as "Choose Your  Own Adventure?

with the reader makes choices tat certain points in the book and if choose "A" go to page #, or 'B' go to different page #?  Mystery/detective book that determine the plot and its outcome? ......At first thought it was called a "Problem Novel" but that refers to YA books on first contact with social problems.

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 7 years ago

It will be in the self help genre if the reader is asked to do something and there is a perceived benefit from doing that which the author wants them to do.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I've only ever seen ones that fall into the sf/fantasy genre, so probably that, suffixed with, choose your own adventure.

4. MarionAnn profile image74
    MarionAnnposted 7 years ago

Yes, there use to be fantasy books that I use to buy as a young girl that would be "if you want the character to go to this castle go to page X, or if you want the character to stay where they are continue reading"
    I think it would be something to look for a YA book to deal with social issues, every topic, etc.

5. Barraoc profile image81
    Barraocposted 7 years ago

They are called Interactive Novels or Gamebooks. Fighting Fantasy was my favourite when I was growing up.

Closed to reply