jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What writer living today will be taught most in American Lit. courses 100 years

1. Mike's Corner profile image81
    Mike's Cornerposted 7 years ago

What writer living today will be taught most in American Lit. courses 100 years from now?

2. A-BroHam Lincoln profile image58
    A-BroHam Lincolnposted 7 years ago

I'd like to say Cormac McCarthy, but I have a hard time deciding whether or not i believe him when he writes. Odd thing to say, I know, but there's part of me that thinks he's just being intentionally difficult and vague. In any case, he's my vote.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I was going to say: Saul Bellow, is probably the best US writer, although only by naturalisation, he is originally Canadian.  Other contenders, Kerouac, Ginsberg, Burroughs, but you ask for living today, are there any North American writers still alive of any note?  Robert Silverberg, Orson Scott Card, Bob Dylan, William Gibson.

4. kereeves3 profile image81
    kereeves3posted 7 years ago

This is a really tough question... I could definitely see writers like Dan Brown, Dennis Lehane, and maybe even Stephen King being taught in schools in the future.  But the reason why this is so tough to decide is because these writers don't really fit into the American Literature category all that easily.  Most of what they write is for entertainment, and not necessarily for artistic analysis.  But I think it would be great if our children's children had the chance to learn about these writers anyway.  They are all very detailed and good at what they do.

Closed to reply