jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can you tell you're being overcritical with your writing?

1. Jarn profile image81
    Jarnposted 7 years ago

How can you tell you're being overcritical with your writing?

I often start off a story with a definitive ending in mind, then look at all that must occur to get from beginning to end, and wonder who would be interested in reading it because of the sheer length. Does anyone else have this issue? Am I just being overcritical of myself?

2. Rusty C. Adore profile image96
    Rusty C. Adoreposted 7 years ago

When I give up on it. If I start self editing as I'm writing and then find that I think it's terrible I completely give up on it and that's not right.

3. writeido profile image75
    writeidoposted 7 years ago

If you start to worry because you are not sure WHO will read it then you're not being true to your passion to write. Just write what YOU like... leave the tweaking till the end and just enjoy the creative trip that your writing takes you on.

4. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 7 years ago

When writing for hubpages, I try to think of who might be interested in reading it, and try not to make it too long.  When it is published, I keep an eye on how many views each hub has received, and how many comments.  To date, my work has received very few viewings and even fewer comments.  So, I change things I think might be a problem.  When, after several changes, my hubs are still not receiving views or comments, I delete them, as I think the lack of response is indicative of the weakness of my hubs.

5. kallini2010 profile image83
    kallini2010posted 7 years ago

I don't think you are overcritical.  I can recommend you a book "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser, it is short and it is a good investment.

The author says that "rewriting" is an essence of writing.  You write the first draft and then you edit and you may shorten your article quite substantially.

I tend to write too much and I should apply those principles as well.  Since I started writing on hubpages and gained some experience, I find Zinssman's advice quite sound.

It is up to you, of course, to read or not to read.  But a writer can never read too much, because reading is part of the job.  You cannot become a good writer without reading.

In any case, I wish you luck with your writing.

working