jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What should I do to win arguments?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

What should I do to win arguments?

How do I back up my arguments do they seem solid? I'm not good at arguing with people.

2. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Are you talking about arguments as in debate, or arguments as in carrying out disagreements with other people? For the latter, I think it's not so much a matter of winning as a matter of being able to find common ground and use the disagreement constructively. For the former, it's knowing your subject very well, but also being able to incorporate your opponent's viewpoint into the equation, and being open to learning new things in the process. I'm linking a hub that I wrote primarily for the human-to-human arguments based on disagreement, though some of the principles can be applied to debates as well:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Proper-Etiquette-for-Arguing

3. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

Seems like your looking for an argument just so that you can win a point...
    ...an argument should simply arise from a debate, where two or more people have differences of opinion. If you know that you are due to debate a subject, study the subject prior to the debate, decide your views and note the "pro's and con's" in respect of these views, build up as much ammunition as possible.
    Remember!!! "sometimes there is no winning point to an argument", just oposing opinions.
    Good luck!

4. queenpoetica profile image60
    queenpoeticaposted 7 years ago

listen to the other side of the argument, and be prepared to be enlightened.  Do you have to win an argument, or do you just need to put across your own point.  Do you need to argue, or do you need to debate.  You say you are not good at arguing with people - why do you need to.

5. Marina Lazarevic profile image90
    Marina Lazarevicposted 7 years ago

It depends on if you're arguing to prove a point or if you're arguing to be a smart-ass. Either way, here's what I'd recommend:

1. Don't dismiss the validity of your opponent's claim(s).

2. Warrant every argument you make. Specific examples (historical, current) increases the credibility of your arguments. As do smart analogies!

3. Point out the inconsistencies in your opponent's logic.

4. Make sure to answer each point that  your opponent makes. Good debates/arguments have clash.

5. Depending on what you are arguing about, you'll want high quality evidence to back up your points. What is high quality evidence? What makes an expert? It is your job to prove that your evidence is relevant. 

6. Don't ramble and rant if you can avoid it.

6. saveascj profile image57
    saveascjposted 7 years ago

just figure out more reasons to support your topic, and thus, you could win your arguments.

working