jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should racist terms be used in jokes

1. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago

Should racist terms be used in jokes

Harvey Levin, manager and leader of the show TMZ has recently said that Blazing Saddles, which has the N word in it a number of times, is better than other movies that make fun of other movies.  Should we be laughing when a movie like that comes out?

2. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 6 years ago
  3. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

I do not like racist terms, period.  The only time they are appropriate is when a child asks innocently what one means, and quickly learns not to say it again because of its derogatory meaning.

I suppose if it's showing a character's "character" in a movie or book, maybe then... only if it is clear that the use is inappropriate and demeaning.

4. Larry Fields profile image80
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

About the larger question regarding the propriety of racial terms: It depends on who is using those terms. As a Caucasian, I feel reasonably comfortable in using the term 'honky' in describing myself. It may even be helpful if the other people in the conversation appear to be nodding off.

5. nayaz1625 profile image77
    nayaz1625posted 6 years ago

Racist terms or any other insulting terms really hurt even if they are said as a joke. Most of the time, they are meant to hurt and the people saying them simply hide behind the joke. It is rare that jokes such are innocent.

working