jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are the positives and negatives of starting your own freelance writing busi

1. Sarah Masson profile image68
    Sarah Massonposted 6 years ago

What are the positives and negatives of starting your own freelance writing business?

2. ChristineVianello profile image59
    ChristineVianelloposted 6 years ago

The positive things about me freelancing is that it is completly freeing and relaxing for me.
    The negative is that I am making no money.

3. Luke Zelleke profile image71
    Luke Zellekeposted 6 years ago

Pros and Cons of freelance writing  People always ask about the pros and cons of becoming a freelance writer or even going at it and becoming a full time freelancer. Well, let's see some points that are for or against becoming a freelancer: ... read more

4. ultimatekboxing profile image56
    ultimatekboxingposted 6 years ago

Pros: Working for yourself, so you make 100% of the decisions regarding what work you do, how much you charge per job.
    Cons: It's not as creative as it sounds if you actually want to make money, you need to work to find and win every single job, you need to network your ass off, you need to do your own taxes. You'll often look at copy and think 'why didn't I get that one'?

5. aprilajune profile image57
    aprilajuneposted 6 years ago

The positives are you don't have to worry about an editor who is over the top slashing your writing apart.

You have multiple outlets for whatever you write and mold your reputation as you see fit.

The negatives are it takes a lot of writing to make a penny usually.

But for me, it's worth it and I like it a lot.

If you're looking for money though, patience is a virtue.

6. Torch Harrison profile image82
    Torch Harrisonposted 6 years ago

Positives:  You get to plan your own workday and can alter your schedule at any time.  You can also choose what to write and decide if you are going to write for the market (what sells) or write for yourself and what interests you.

Negatives:  Money.  Very difficult to make a lot of money or even enough to live on at times.  You have to carefully track your expenses for tax time.  And you have to constantly promote yourself and what you're doing online.  Every day.

7. profile image46
    R.Gineeposted 6 years ago

You have the advantage to earn while you are in the comfort of you home...

But you need to take care that the comfort doesn't take you over, otherwise you may not be able to perform what you dreamt of.

Its Okay for a little downtime in life.

working