jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever deleted a story you wrote and regret it?

1. My Stories profile image60
    My Storiesposted 6 years ago

Have you ever deleted a story you wrote and regret it?

2. N.E. Wright profile image81
    N.E. Wrightposted 6 years ago

Year ago, I deleted a story by accident, and I regretted I was not truly focused on which button to press.  Save or delete? 

That was because I had my two year old niece sitting on my lap while my 11 year old niece was vying for my attention also.  LOL. 

I guess we cannot do it all.  LOL.

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image80
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

I haven't deleted one yet.... I know that I probably would regret it.  I don't write about things unless I am passionate about the subject matter. I have taken things down ...thought about it long and hard and realized that someone, somewhere would benefit.   I've come to notice that on hubpages we rely to heavily on comments from other hubbers.  I had to get over that....not everyone is going to appreciate what I do.  So, I took the long way of saying I know that I would....hope that I never do.  Does this help at all?

4. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

To answer your question, no I haven't.

But, to also offer some perhaps helpful advice...are you aware that you can unpublish a story any time you like, (just hit the 'unpublish now' button on the top panel in edit mode). It instantly becomes invisible to anyone but you, but remains in your hub list under 'my account'. Should you later regret hiding it and decide you want to re-publish, just go back to edit mode, and hit 'publish'.

Alternatively, if you decide you really don't want to keep the story up, don't delete it until you've made sure you don't lose all your hard work; to do that, hit the 'print' button below your hub, and select 'pdf' in the dialog panel, that'll produce a copy of the piece that you can "save as" on your hard drive. No printing involved; and no loss of work.

I try and keep a copy of everything I write - incl work in progess, or an idea that I can't quite get to work, it's surprising how often you can revisit stuff, and on a different day, get a better result. And, avoid regret at hitting the delete button too soon.

5. KrT08 profile image57
    KrT08posted 6 years ago

I've deleted them on accident, or put them on disks that have been damaged, or just thrown away paper copies.
    I usually regret it. I’m a highly emotional person and prone to random bouts of throw it all away. I tend to back up everything in several places just because I’m moody. (laughing) I have found that I seem to re-write them better when I try to remember what on earth I wrote.
    I suppose all things work out in the end, as long as I stay true to myself as a writer and a person.