How does a "Spoken Word Artist" differ from a poet?

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

How does a "Spoken Word Artist" differ from a poet?

2. lsin82 profile image60
    lsin82posted 6 years ago

I have recently started presenting some of my pieces publicly at different events. I am no expert on either spoken word or poetry, but before I speak I definitely let it be know that I am not a poet. When I write and speak I really don't pay any attention to arrangements or stanzas or parameters or any of that stuff they tried to teach me in Englis lit. lol. I simply write what I feel and speak it how I feel it. I guess if I had to categorize myself I would be more of a Spoken Word Artist. I could be wrong, like I said Im new at this....

3. mariefontaine profile image59
    mariefontaineposted 6 years ago

A spoken word artist CAN be a Poet.  It depends. Is that spoken word artist as strong on paper as they are on the  mic?  If they are NOT... then, in my opinion... this artist is an ENTERTAINER. Free verse IS a form of poetry.  Anyone who says that spoken word poets are NOT poets are full of foolery. Just because there is no iambic pantameter, no aba, or any of the other gobble-dee-gook... I DARE someone to call people such as Sonja Sanchez, Saul Williams, Jill Scott, Nikki Giovianni anything OTHER than poets.  They do not always follow form.  I tend to babble at times, so... in answer to your question... the only difference there can POSSIBLY be is whether or not this person claiming to BE a poet is strong on paper and actually IS  a poet rather than an entertainer.