jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do I become a mainstream parody songwriter?

1. thranax profile image53
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

How do I become a mainstream parody songwriter?

Like Weird-Al-Yankovich for example. How do I become famous and rich using real song beats with the words made up for what im making the parody about? Do I need to have connections in the industry or can I do it on my own? I would like to see a detailed hub about this.

2. helpfulcomedy profile image54
    helpfulcomedyposted 6 years ago

Well I suppose you could put videos on youtube, or sell your music on itunes or something. Or sell your music on a stall, because becoming famous is just about how many people know you realy, and the more you put yourself out there the more you will get back. Good luck

3. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 6 years ago

You do need connections in the industry, recording, publishing, management, etc.  You can parody anything you wish for exposure but you can't sell it without making an agreement with the original publisher of the song. 
    I've written many parodys but I don't put them on any market for sale.  Writing original comedy songs is much easier to market.  You don't have to worry about cutting the royalties.  If you can write parodys, you can write originals.
    I would suggest getting involved with a local songwriting workshop.  NSAI (Nashville Songwriters Association International) has many such workshops around the country.  They can give you guidance and important information.
    As you hone your craft, learn everything you can about the business.  The best of luck to you.

4. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

If you are good enough...and I mean really good enough, the industry will find you if you havesome product out there...Jason Beiber is an example though one I am loathe to use. What you are attempting to accomplish is even more difficult than making it as an entertainer.  Study Weird Al, and for sure study Cletdus T. Judd.  What you will fnd is at the base both are exceptional in terms of their musical ability. They did not take their route because they were failures in the industry...most  who pursue a musical career did not have their options. Study Ray Stevens....he has every ability to be a serious musician and can be but he does what he does so effortlessly or so it seems.  Doing a parody on the really thing is so often more dificult than the real thing. WB

5. hotwebideas profile image74
    hotwebideasposted 6 years ago

I think Weird Al Yankovic is the best person to study.

working