Spelling: English or American spelling of English words. Which is best?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. peterxdunn profile image57
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

    Spelling: English or American spelling of English words. Which is best?

    I am English and I generally use English spelling when writing. However, I have fallen into the habit of letting my WP software's spell checker change some of my English spellings into their American equivalent. This is largely because the spell checker is better at spotting my spelling mistakes and typos than I am. There are exceptions though. I cannot - for instance - quite bring myself to accept 'thru' as a replacement for 'through'. Has anyone any views or advice on this issue. All comments welcome.

  2. legitimo profile image44
    legitimoposted 7 years ago

    AMERICAN SPELLING OF ENGLISH,But use what you think is best for your hub,to me thru is just a short version but,I wouldn't use it.

  3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

    I doesn't matter as long as you are consistent and don't mix the two in one hub. I tend to ignore most spell checkers smile

  4. leroy64 profile image81
    leroy64posted 7 years ago

    MS Word spellcheck allows you to set the program for english as written in different countries.  Is there a setting on WP to to do that?  i am assuming you are using Word Perfect.  I am from the US and  agree with you about the spelling of the word through.

  5. nikki_m profile image80
    nikki_mposted 7 years ago

    I would think that whatever is most comfortable for you is best. I live in US and I never have issues reading English spelling. However, if you are writing an article with one or the other as the intended audience (For example, a Hub specifically about English politics or history) I would use the spelling that is best suited for that in order to keep your readers from getting caught up on spelling. Sometimes seeing an extra letter in a word can snag readers and distract them from the point momentarily.

  6. camsolivia profile image73
    camsoliviaposted 7 years ago

    Seems to me that you would be best to honor YOUR language. There is little difference in the two; besides, in my not-so-humble opinion (grin) it is also a way to identify where a writer is (from). I enjoy reading pieces from 'round the world...and can usually tell by the (different) spellings that a person might be "across the pond". I say...write as YOU.

  7. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 7 years ago

    I think British spellings and American spellings are best in their own ways. I use American in hubpages while write British spellings for the papers in Nepal. When I submit stories for American media, I use American spellings, and British spellings for British media.

  8. davenmidtown profile image86
    davenmidtownposted 7 years ago

    I would use the UK version of English if I were you.  I say this because when I read articles that are from UK writers I feel the sense of England in what they are writing.  I think you can set your spell checker to choose the UK English language too.   That is just my opinion.

  9. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 7 years ago

    If a spell checker actually replaces "through" with "thru," that spell checker needs to be tossed. Seriously. That's not correct formal spelling in either strain of English.

    Go with what you know and like best. As an American who loves England, I enjoy reading a British-spelled article.

  10. daskittlez69 profile image72
    daskittlez69posted 7 years ago

    It doesn't matter really.  Us "yanks" can understand you.  I was thinking about what you said of using the word "thru" though.  I believe the only time I ever used that spelling is for a drive-thru.

  11. lydocia profile image82
    lydociaposted 7 years ago

    English originated in England, the form of English they speak in America is American English.

    It depends on in which country you are/live. I can imagine it would be weird for an American to suddenly start using British spelling, but it is also generally frowned upon for someone in Britain or Europe in general to use American English. (Most European countries teach British English in school).

  12. Dardia profile image74
    Dardiaposted 7 years ago

    Is "thru" actually an accepted spelling or is it just slang? I don't know but I think it is used more in poetry. I do not use it myself. I still spell it, "through," and I am an American.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)