Is it better for you to write w/a pen/pencil, laptop or sitting at your desk on

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. stestifie profile image69
    stestifieposted 12 years ago

Is it better for you to write w/a pen/pencil, laptop or sitting at your desk on your desktop?

I'm just wondering. Ever since I got my laptop I love writing alot more.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5440755_f260.jpg

2. Cogerson profile image77
    Cogersonposted 12 years ago

Give me the laptop any day of the week.  I get nothing done if I use a pen or pencil.

3. theseattlegirl profile image78
    theseattlegirlposted 12 years ago

Some days I prefer to write with pen and paper, other days on the computer. I'm fickle that way! I will say, though, it's a pain transcribing from paper to the computer.

4. CBM1987 profile image60
    CBM1987posted 12 years ago

I need a keyboard... my mind races and the only thing that really keeps up with it when im in that mode its my fingers on a keyboard... I type about 88 wpm speed!

5. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5440771_f260.jpg

I like to do my hubs straight into hubs on my laptop from wherever we are & especially near a nice water scene  !

6. Tony DeLorger profile image64
    Tony DeLorgerposted 12 years ago

I have done all three, but I have a work station and that's generally where I write. That's not to say I can't write anywhere else, its just that my PC is the main area for writing. When I first started writing novels I wrote a few by hand and after that my hand used to ache because I'd write about 2,500 words a day. The laptop is so portable and accessable if your not at home but in the end I have to say my desk and PC is where I feel most comfortable. As a writer I think we should be able to write anywhere, and be as flexible as possible. The discipline is the most important thing; writing every day to hone our craft.

7. leroy64 profile image65
    leroy64posted 12 years ago

It is easier for me to work the first draft in pencil, or sometimes the outline.  I tend to wander away from the subject too much if I just use the computer.

8. Sneha Sunny profile image85
    Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years ago

You have decorated your lappy very cutely.... I liked that... :-)
    And about writing......I haven't written anything with pen/pencil. I'm writing since I joined hubpages. So, that's obvious that I need to write on computer if I want to publish online. Writing in computer is fine for me and I do that almost everyday and I never get bored of it. But still sometime I just feel to write sometime with pen or pencil, it feels like food cravings to me, it actually feels like writing with pen craving to me!! So sometimes I have strong desire to write with pen/pencil. But most of the time I write in computer and especially now, when I have developed the track of writing in computer.

9. proudmamma profile image81
    proudmammaposted 12 years ago

Usually, my research is with pen and paper. However, when I begin to write my hub I use my laptop. I have several notebooks of research. I just need to put all my efforts to hubs. smile

10. rembrandz profile image79
    rembrandzposted 12 years ago

Actually the pen and the laptop are equally important in my opinion.
    Sometimes I feel okay/if not make an effort to write with a pen on paper because I don't want to get agitated when holidaying in my home country...sometime power-cuts happen randomly and uninformed for many hours....and people have no choice but to write or draw with the basic tools. I am sure I can't survive in my digital arts field in such a scenario...However when we can't reach a laptop sometimes, we have to use the pen for immediate registration of the ideas or to report or record incidents.
    Anyway I have started writing more thanks to the laptop and the internet...I guess because using the laptop is less messy, provides for easy changes and requires less use of paper which is better.

11. Hunbbel Meer profile image75
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

It depends for every other person out there. I personally do not feel like writing (anything, even out side men hubs' zone) anything with pen/paper/pencil. So, it is far more comfortable and easy for me to just type anything I want to write.

On the other hand, obviously I cannot 'write' 100wpm on paper, as I can while typing wink

If I have to write on pen/paper, I would have rethought my decision to become a writer tongue

12. Dennis AuBuchon profile image62
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 12 years ago

I like working at a computer.  I do my best work sitting at my computer and writing.  I do tend to think of topics on which I wish to write and the general approach I want to take away from my computer.  When I write I tend to take it in steps putting down in a file the key words or aspects I want to include in the final product.  In this respect I do not forget some things I want to include.

After completing my initial article I also tend to go on something else either another article on which I am working or searching for other issues.  When I come back I can see how I can say things better or revise the content where I may have left out some words.  I can also see opportunities to increase my word efficiency by not repeating key words or phrases on an issue.  Getting rid of this aspect increases the quality of what I write.

13. Stephiliboo profile image60
    Stephilibooposted 12 years ago

I always write with a pen and paper first, and then go to the laptop.

14. Rashad Al profile image64
    Rashad Alposted 12 years ago

I usually start of with a pencil and paper...then i finish off on my laptop. It helps me clear things up.

15. Amber Colleen profile image60
    Amber Colleenposted 12 years ago

I usually draft everything in pen (Pilot g2 pens, to be exact), while at my desk. For some reason it helps my ideas flow better (at least when writing fiction). I write nonfiction usually just straight to my laptop. After I draft my stories I will type them out and edit them on my laptop at my desk. I can't write anywhere else because I get distracted. smile

16. ShaneMorris profile image61
    ShaneMorrisposted 12 years ago

To specifically answer your question, I don't think that it's, necessarily, "better" to write in any specific way. Every person's different. When I'm writing any poetry, I ALWAYS hand write them. It just seems so much more - real, if you will. Now, when it comes to me working on a story of any kind I basically always write on my laptop because it's more convenient and can be a monumental time saver. Just imagine all the time it would take to type what you've already written!

I do like writing with a pencil or pen because it's something tangible I can hold in my finger. It is my tool, my weapon, my vent, my secrets keeper.

17. Krysanthe profile image92
    Krysantheposted 12 years ago

For me, its on the couch with my laptop.   I can type much faster than I can write,  so I can get my thoughts down quicker.  It kind of helps me to keep my train of thought.

18. Naomi's Banner profile image73
    Naomi's Bannerposted 12 years ago

I prefer to write with a computer.  If my laptop was a better one I would use it however at this time I am still using the tower.  I like to write with pen and paper also but I get writers cramps as I write so fast my hands cramp up.  I am also one of those people that press down hard on the paper which I believe is the reason for the cramps.  I would write much more if I had a laptop that was not so slow and frustrating.

19. readwriteteach profile image59
    readwriteteachposted 11 years ago

When I write for Hub Pages, I love using my laptop. But when I'm writing for school, research papers and such, I like to start by writing notes using paper and pencil. Then I organize my thoughts in paper. Finally, I type the final version of my papers on the laptop.  So, creative writing, I enjoy using the laptop more. Research writing, I use paper and pencil to record my ideas and organize them.

20. renee21 profile image79
    renee21posted 10 years ago

I used to write with a pencil and paper; but now that I bought a laptop, I only use my ASUS for writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)