What is the one book everybody should own a copy of?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. RKHenry profile image78
    RKHenryposted 6 years ago

What is the one book everybody should own a copy of?

What is the one book, out of all the books known to us that you think everyone should be required to own or at the least read?

2. iviskei profile image72
    iviskeiposted 6 years ago

I know I should say the bible but...

My vote goes to 'No Plot, No Problem!' by Chris Baty. Even if you aren't writing a novel, its a great book that makes you feel like getting up and doing SOMETHING. lol! It's really entertaining too.

3. habee profile image95
    habeeposted 6 years ago

The Bible. Even for non-believers, it provides a good guide for life, along with beautiful, inspirational verses and poetry.

4. profile image0
    jami l. pereiraposted 6 years ago

First and foremost  i think EVERYONE should own a copy of the BIBLE !(whether or not they WANT one (because they will need it later)whether they believe it or not)and then....... There are so many great books , however , i have a very very old copy of the old book ,Winnie the pooh by A.A. Milne , And every time i glance to read a few pages to whatever child is around at that time , it always captures a feeling of quaintness , happiness  , It is a classic to be enjoyed over and over again, regardless of it being a childrens book , it is well written and illustrated . The book has been around now a very long time , and Pooh has too smile

5. tlpoague profile image85
    tlpoagueposted 6 years ago

I have to agree with Habee. I think everyone needs a bible. Not only are there facinating stories on history, poetry, and inspiration, there are lessons to be learned, and a guideline for a happy, profitable life.
    Non-religious believer AC Grayling wrote his own bible- which mimics the King James Bible for those that don't believe in God. He felt everyone should have guildlines to live by for a happier, content life.

6. satice_j profile image75
    satice_jposted 6 years ago

I think it should be:

LOVE  A Celebration In Art & Literature
    Editors: Jane Lahr and Lena Tabori

I love this book for inside are the most inspirational pieces poetry and prose alike of the subject LOVE!

Check it out!

7. Allen Williams profile image84
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

I don't think everyone should own a copy of the BIBLE.  That is like saying everyone should own a copy of the Curran.  Not everyone is religious and by forcing them to own a copy won't make them religious.  That is a personal thing I know but I just thought I would mention it.

I think everyone should own a copy of People of the Same Sun http://www.PeopleOfTheSameSun.com because that is a book that teaches good values while sharing a fictional story for all ages to enjoy.

8. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 6 years ago

Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo. This has got to be the BEST book that I've ever read and I recommend it to everyone.

9. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

The story of my experiments with truth by Mahatma Gandhiji. Its an auto-biography of Mahatma Gandhiji.

It retails in Amazon for about $ 10. Worth reading to get an understanding of a complex personality and a complex country.

10. IntimatEvolution profile image80
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

Chariot of the Gods by Erik            Von Daninkan (spelled wrong for sure.)

11. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

a dictionary. though we use computers for a lot, power outages can make that impossible.

12. plutopanes profile image61
    plutopanesposted 6 years ago

Antony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange". It's thin. It's small. and it will disturb your pretty little faithful worlds.

if you are 16 then: Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" would do.

if you get to 18 year replace it with "Helter Skelter" by Vincent Burliosi & Curt Gentry

if you are Muslim then read "The Satanic Verses" by the Indian Writer Salman Rushdie.

13. zanaworld profile image66
    zanaworldposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5516780_f260.jpg

I would rather like to take The Holy Quran.

14. shamani67 profile image60
    shamani67posted 6 years ago

How to win friends and influence people. Everbody should read it, it could prove life changing.

15. RKHenry profile image78
    RKHenryposted 6 years ago

The Dresden Codex might be a good book to have laying around......

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)