jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How do you write a writer's resume?

1. prairieprincess profile image95
    prairieprincessposted 6 years ago

How do you write a writer's resume?

Although I have read that a resume is no longer needed for writing job and a portfolio is all that's necessary, many employers still ask for a resume.

How do you make a writer's resume when you have been working in other fields for most of your life? Do you put all your job experience on there or just focus on writing related work?

Any tips or hints would be most appreciated!

2. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

I have been in that situation before of trying to get a job outside of my past work experience.  It is best to put all your job experience on your resume with an emphasis on writing related work.  Don't forget that they are not only hiring you as a writer, but also as an employee, and you want to demonstrate that you can be a competent employee.  They will see that you are a competent writer from your portfolio.  Hope this helps.

3. Wrath Warbone profile image72
    Wrath Warboneposted 6 years ago

The answer by Rock_nj sounds like some very good basic advise to me. I recommend those of us who are starting out take it and take encouragement from it. If your writing is good, it would seem the employee will recognize that by reading it and no other way. Your work history will amply cover his other questions.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Try this Hub I wrote a while back...

http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/hub/ … ce-Writing

However, if you have a fair amount of writing experience, focus on that and summarize other work experience under a heading Additional Experience after your Writing Experince section.

Best to you!

1. prairieprincess profile image95
      prairieprincessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for that great article, Patty!

working