How can an unpublished writer, with no degree or relevant resume ever expect to

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. learnlovelive profile image59
    learnloveliveposted 12 years ago

How can an unpublished writer, with no degree or relevant resume ever expect to develop a portfolio?

How can a multi-faceted, skilled but entry-level writer with no accredited education develop a resume without having a portfolio, vice versa?

2. Man from Modesto profile image79
    Man from Modestoposted 12 years ago

Try duotrope.com

You can do searched and find publishers who publish your genre and length of writing. From flash fiction (a few sentences) to novels, you can find multiple publishers in each genre.

Also, join a writer's group. Check out meetup.com, you can search for groups in your area.

Also: be determined and wise. Pray for God to open opportunities for you, and to give you favor.

3. tammyfrost profile image84
    tammyfrostposted 12 years ago

You can show samples of your Published Articles in your Portfolio.

4. marriedwithdebt profile image76
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

If you are indeed a skilled writer looking for work, just write some sample articles and make your own website a portfolio.

Even if you've never had a paying client, you can post quality examples of what they can expect to get from you. In fact, I'd never work with a writer whose work I could not see first.

Wordpress makes it easy to build and host a professional looking website with little experience needed.

Hope this helps.

5. mortimerjackson profile image58
    mortimerjacksonposted 12 years ago

Well, the way to do it is to actually build a portfolio. That's what I've been doing for the past six months. Self-pubbing novels, offering short stories and writing articles is my way of building up a portfolio. And with some sales under my belt and over ten thousand downloads/views, I think I've got some pretty shiny things to put on a resume.

If you don't have an accredited education, then you best believe you need a portfolio. I'd highly suggest you get cracking and write stuff. This year I plan to do a bit of journalism myself.

6. learnlovelive profile image59
    learnloveliveposted 12 years ago

I believe I will develop a .wordpress. I need to look into the particulars of it but yes, that sounds reasonable. I used to have one but never understood it's capacity, I guess. I treated it like a blog and then deleted it out of shame. What other initiatives are there for using .wordpress as career builder? Once I've established content and loyal viewers where do I go to seek legitimate employment. Say I am interested in writing for a scientific journal such as American Scientist. Do I simply query them with a hook and hope to reel something in?

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

It depends on who you are and what experience you have outside of writing. It depends on what sort of writing you want to do. Sometimes you should write your pieces first, then figure out what to do with them.

8. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 12 years ago

Education isn't everything. Many people have got into jobs without a great education.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 12 years ago

There are easier things to use than wordpress if you are not website savvy and there are many websites out there that allow you to drag/drop build a portfolio search for free portfolio websites for writers - or have a look at the hub I did called 101 free tools every freelance writer/web designer needs.  In time, once you get a nice amount of clips you may want to consider having someone build you a custom portfolio

As far as querying every magazine and publication is going to have their own specifications and directions.  The worst thing you can do is pitch to a magazine without any idea what their guidelines for querying are.  Look into any publication you want to work with and follow their rules exactly.  You can also invest in something like the writers market guide (highly recommended) which will help you easily locate writer's guidelines and other pertinent information about pretty much any publication imaginable. 

Start small - go for small magazines or local pieces to build clips and then build up from there.  For writers it's often more about experience and what's in your portfolio than your educational background.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)