jump to last post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)

Would you use 'an' or 'a' in front of Hallucination Thanks

1. Rosemay50 profile image78
    Rosemay50posted 6 years ago

Would you use 'an' or 'a' in front of Hallucination

2. terrektwo profile image83
    terrektwoposted 6 years ago

"a" I believe "an" doesn't seem to sound right.

3. J Burgraff profile image73
    J Burgraffposted 6 years ago

I believe 'a' would be appropriate as the 'h' is not silent.

4. moncrieff profile image80
    moncrieffposted 6 years ago

Since the "h" here is not mute, it should be "a".

5. ThoughtSandwiches profile image79
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 6 years ago

Let's go with 'a' since the 'an' never seems to fit with a good hallucination.

6. TattooKitty profile image85
    TattooKittyposted 6 years ago

I would use "a".  The article "an" is reserved for use before words that have an initial vowel sound (as just used).  The word "hallucination" begins with a consonant sound.  Hope this helps wink

7. Hunbbel Meer profile image87
    Hunbbel Meerposted 6 years ago

You already know my vote tongue 'a hallucination'

8. pedrn44 profile image94
    pedrn44posted 6 years ago

"a" because you pronounce the "H"...at least I think it sounds better that way:)

9. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

It is definitely "a."The only time you use "an" before "h" is when the "h" is silent and thus the word sounds as though it starts with a vowel, which requires an "an." Example: It's an honor to be here.  In that sentence, the "h" is silent. However, before Halloween, use "a" since the "h" is pronounced. Ex: I'm having a Halloween party.

Make sense?

10. pamelareadz profile image60
    pamelareadzposted 6 years ago

I agree with terrektwo.  I would use "a" too.

11. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

I see that you have asked htodd to answer this but I couldn't resist.
    An object perceived during a hallucinatory episode.
    He refused to believe that the angel was a hallucination.
    My vote is also for "A"

12. LABrashear profile image60
    LABrashearposted 6 years ago

"A", but you made me stop and think for a second! smile

13. Terishere profile image61
    Terishereposted 6 years ago

The article "a" is preceded before a word that starts with a constanant.. Use the article "an" if it precedes a word beginning with a vowel.

14. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I would use A - the rule of thumb is that A is used if the next letter is a consonant and use AN if the next letter is a vowel.  There are a few exceptions to this rule though.

15. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

I would use "a".  There are many instances where "a" or "an" might sound better but there are proper rules of " english " that must be followed.

16. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

I just had an interesting thought, at least to me anyway.

Victoria Lynn is correct in writing that the article "an" is used before words beginning with "h" when the "h" is silent. But I noticed that you (Rosemay) are from the UK and now living in New Zealand.

I believe you may pronounce more words with silent "h"s than Americans. For example, when Americans speak the word "hallucination" the "h" sound is heard, but perhaps for some people with a British accent the "h" may be silent (but I'm not sure). Therefore, if you speak with an accent where the "h" is silent in "hallucination" then it would be correct for you to use the article "an" in front of the word "hallucination."

But I see you asked the question of an international editor, htodd, so I would be interested to see her response. I am curious if the rules differ when writing for an international audience.

Great question.

17. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

Victoria Lynn answered with the rule. She is right. If you do not hear the consonant, it is 'an'. If you hear the consonant, it is 'a'.

18. makusr profile image60
    makusrposted 6 years ago

English language like many other languages is based on sound. Phonetics. Vowel sound is important. Since hallucination has consonant sound it will have 'a' before it. Had it been 'honesty' or 'hour' we would have put 'an' before it because they have a vowel sound.

19. Rosemay50 profile image78
    Rosemay50posted 6 years ago

Thank you everybody who answered. I guess 'A' must be correct.
    Although ktrapp had a good point as coming from Yorkshire I do not put emphasis on the 'H' , it is a silent h when I speak.

But the answers were all very interesting so yes thank you for taking the time.

20. shamani67 profile image61
    shamani67posted 6 years ago

an. Read it out loud to yourself when you are using it in a sentence and it should tell you straight away what is correct.
    I am Aussie so maybe that is why I disagree with most of you. An hallucination sounds better than a hallucination.

21. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

aeiou... H is not one of them so i would use "a" ...