jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is it true that writing buffs tend to be introverts?

1. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

Is it true that writing buffs tend to be introverts?

It's certainly true for me. And yes, I realize that Mark Twain was also a gifted public speaker. Am I correct in assuming that he was atypical in that respect?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5635672_f260.jpg

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image59
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 6 years ago

I believe that when we can allow ourselves the chance to express our hearts in such an exposed way as we do sometimes in writing. We can start to consider those things that need to be changed, added or improved on.

I have noticed that it brings out the best in the person. Sometimes we need to tap into our desires, dreams and fears. The writing begins as the words appear on the white screen.

Sometimes we need to write because this is the only voice we hear. Our thinking changes and then the transformation begins! smile  Great topic!

3. ithabise profile image83
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

Yes, but not necessarily so. Introversion/extroversion has to do with how we are gratified and are energized. I suspect there are many writers out there who get worn down by the writing and thinking process and cannot wait to go out and have some fun. For any like me though, I'm the opposite and flee to silence, books, and the tablet for invigoration.

4. dahoglund profile image80
    dahoglundposted 6 years ago

Often people who work in front of audiences like Mark Twain are introverts.One such was Johnny Carson a former Tonight show comic.By the same token I am sure there are writers who are extroverted.

5. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

"Introvert" and "extrovert" are terms that are often misunderstood.  I don't believe that because he was a good public speaker he wasn't necessarily an introvert.  People can have different degrees of introversion and extroversion; and/or they can have a mix of both traits.  Then, too, I'm not sure it's even correct to believe that all writer-types are introverts (or at least complete introverts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversi … troversion

6. KarenCreftor profile image87
    KarenCreftorposted 6 years ago

Everyone is part Introvert and part Extrovert. I'm definitely more Introvert than most but again I can quite easily give public speeches if and when I have to. I also dress very extroverted which many would say is in conflict with my personality.

I also have a friend who is a very gifted writer and she is extremely extroverted. I agree with ithabise that whichever 'vert' you are more is more about how you gain energy~ so possibly the fact that writing is mostly a solo adventure makes it an ideal path for the more introverted who tend to be deep thinkers rather than sociable talkers.

Now public speaking is more to do with shyness which is a completely different subject as you can be shy whether you're more introverted or extroverted.

'The Loner's Manifesto' is a fantastic book which goes through all these differences (again loner's, outcasts and introverts and all seperate types), everyone should read it tbh smile

Good question btw xx

7. engelfantasydream profile image57
    engelfantasydreamposted 6 years ago

that is just a myth...i think writer buff peeps are introvert in a sense that they won't go outside their home when they are still in so much passion writing a masterpiece..cos when you write something you are passionate about at that particular moment of time..you won't let go of it,cos if you ever stop even for a second writing about it..then you will lost your momento..cos writing is all about right timing,passion,and rhythm ...besides what is the problem being an "introvert'??..they know how to have fun too...clean fun:)

8. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

Engelfantasydream wrote:
    "..besides what is the problem being an 'introvert'??..they know how to have fun too...clean fun:)"

Thanks for pointing out that introversion is not a disease. That truth needed to be articulated. Some countries have a much higher proportion of introverts than the U.S. That reminds me of an old joke.

Q: How do you recognize a Finnish extrovert?
    A: During a conversation, he looks at your shoes, rather than his own. smile

working