jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How often do use the word "Touch-wood"?

1. Jyoti Patil profile image64
    Jyoti Patilposted 6 years ago

How often do use the word "Touch-wood"?

I have heard people using this word most of the time. I myself use it a lot. So how many of you really use this word?

2. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

That's a new one on me.

I've heard of "knock on wood" for luck or to stave off bad luck after saying something they hope remains true.

I've heard of "touchstone," a stone used to verify the quality of a gold sample, and frequently it is used in a broader sense of validating the quality of anything -- or merely standing for quality in general.

Can you add a note on the effective meaning (definition)?

3. lilyfly profile image75
    lilyflyposted 6 years ago

No. Never, but I asume you mean (for luck). I've said it, but I've had no real reason to use it in writing.

4. Mercia Collins profile image70
    Mercia Collinsposted 6 years ago

In parts of United Kingdom, people touch wood for luck. Most people would use it thus,

' I will get the job, touch wood,'
           'When I have passed my exams, touch wood.'

it seems to be the kind of phrase you use when you hope something will happen the way you want it to happen, and to take the bad luck off counting your chickens before they have hatched, or assuming that something will go as you wish..

5. Jyoti Patil profile image64
    Jyoti Patilposted 6 years ago

hey lone77star, We use the word "touch-wood" for Luck most of the time. And its exactly like you knock on wood for luck. Mercia Collins has given the best explanation of it.

6. lilian1 profile image60
    lilian1posted 6 years ago

I agree with Mercia the word is used quite often in the UK I use it myself sometimes...

7. chander mehra profile image60
    chander mehraposted 6 years ago

Never. I believe the expression means that the user is unsure of himself, lacks self-confidence and often indulges in falsehoods without making a commitment.

8. profile image49
    Steve Tannuzzoposted 6 years ago

I don't believe I would classify "Touch wood" as a word. It's simply a phrase that people use to mean "if all goes well" or "for luck." No harm in using it, but if you're writing fiction, you should consider limiting its use to just one character in your story.