jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How many words do you need to have a book.

1. frugalfamily profile image78
    frugalfamilyposted 6 years ago

How many words do you need to have a book.

i know there is no right answer, but if you bought a book on Kindle, how many words would you expect it to have before you thought you were ripped off?

2. LoriSoard profile image75
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

It depends on the type of book and what the publisher's guidelines are. For example, a short contemporary romance might be 60K words, while a long historical or science fiction novel would be 100K. Also, non-ficton varies in the same way. My advice is to find a publisher who produces books similar to yours, read their guidelines and see what range they usually ask for. Hope that helps.

3. ThoughtSandwiches profile image82
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 6 years ago

Hi frugal...

In terms of no right answer...yeah.  Depending on genre, media, yada, and yada...the factors would be numerous.  Industry standards for a "first time" actual novel vary. 

I have seen a low of 65,000 and a high of 100,000.  I believe 75,000-85,000 is optimum.

To answer your question...when would I feel ripped off?  Probably after getting the Kindle and realizing I didn't know how to make it work.  That's me, though.

Thomas

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image90
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago

75 to 80 thousand words is what I was told when writing mine but this is if you are going through a publisher with these requirements, and that is the requirement of many. I would not personally think it necessary if self publishing. Although you naturally want to give someone enough content as you say to not feel cheated, who wants to fill a book with meaningless boring chatter just to meet a criteria? Naturally some books would not be this long, depending on the subject and children's books can be many lengths but I would  guess never any this long.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

A short book is about 75,000 words and translates to about 150 or so pages.

6. inaniLoquence profile image71
    inaniLoquenceposted 6 years ago

If it's a children's book, probably more or less than 1000 words...

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

The shortest best-selling novel in the US was only four pages long. It was called A Message to Garcia and was one of the most widely-distributed books in the world around the turn of the last century.

8. mriaskiable profile image59
    mriaskiableposted 6 years ago

I know that to make an e book you don't need words you just need to share what's in your mind and a few bucks to printed. Never bought a book on Kindle. Would like the experience.

9. WinglessGuardian6 profile image57
    WinglessGuardian6posted 6 years ago

Depends entirely on how big the book is going to me...

working