What is the best book you read in the last year?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Robie Benve profile image84
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

What is the best book you read in the last year?

Out of your last 12-month-period readings, which book would you definitely recommend?

2. krazikat profile image59
    krazikatposted 12 years ago

Definately Gini Koch's Kitty Katt Alien series...that woman has some talent! Her style is witty, sarcastic, and engaging...makes me wish we had some AC's on this planet!!!!

3. Bretsuki profile image69
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

My favorite book from the last twelve months is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer.

The book is set in 1946 in London and on the Channel Island of Guernsey. It's a story of friendships and loyalty. Written as a series of letters and diary enteries it moves fairly quickly and kept me wanting more right up to the last word. I was really sad when I finished the book but have already re-read it.

4. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

Hi Robie. I started reading The Help late last year, but it is very hard going. As for the best book I read in 2011, it would have to be my annual re-reading of To Kill a Mockingbird.

5. imichelle profile image68
    imichelleposted 12 years ago

Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell.  It's an interesting look at how Western culture turned into one that values cheap merchandise over just about everything else, and how deceptive and costly our "low prices" really are.

The Writers Dog, I have heard that The Help is excellent.  Thanks for reminding me about that one - I've put it on my list!

6. imvarunkmr profile image61
    imvarunkmrposted 12 years ago

Chetan Bhagat's "Revolution 2020" & "3 mistakes of my life"

7. Eranofu profile image65
    Eranofuposted 12 years ago

"The Art Of Seduction" by Robert Greene. One of the best books of the genre. Really love the research he has done.

8. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 12 years ago

God's Word, the Bible!  I read it everyday!  No man written book can surpass God's own Word!

9. emichael profile image61
    emichaelposted 12 years ago

Easy. The best book I've read in the last year would have to be Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's a well-paced, touching, and very rewarding read. I highly recommend it.

Foer's prose are a truly unique balance of witty humour and lyrical poetry.

10. MissouriSEOCompan profile image61
    MissouriSEOCompanposted 12 years ago

Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter House 5 was great. It's fairly well hyped but I thought it lived up to the hype and then some. If you're the least bit introspective and can appreciate excellent writing, I highly recommend this book.

11. DanielNeff profile image60
    DanielNeffposted 12 years ago

I am not a voracious reader. Couple that with the fact that I spent much of the last year working on my own novels (which includes reading, editing, reading, rewriting, reading, editing, etc.) which doesn't leave one with much desire to read  anything else, I only read a few books over the last year.
    One that stands out though would be "Shoeless Joe" by W.P. Kinsella. For any of you who are fans of the movie, "Field of Dreams," "Shoeless Joe" is book that movie is based on.
    I have the DVD of the movie, and it is one of my all-time favorites. The scene at the end where the father and son are re-united always brought tears to my eyes. Tears of sadness at the parallel of my own unresolved relationship with my father.
    Long story short, my father passed away last March. When we got back home, I put in "Field of Dreams" and watched it. For the very first time, the scene at the end did NOT make me cry. I did a lot of thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that, I believe my father is in heaven, and that the next time I see him it will be there, and our relationship will be perfect. So I no longer have to worry over the broken relationship and the pain it used to cause me.
    Back to the topic, I really enjoyed the book. There were many differences between the book and the movie, and in most cases I like the way the movie handled those situations.

12. wonderingwoolley profile image60
    wonderingwoolleyposted 12 years ago

This is really hard, because I've read so many really good ones. However, I would have to say the best is The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, but that's a really hard choice!

13. Robie Benve profile image84
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

Many great answers, and all about books I don't know! (besides the Bible, of course). I need to check them out. smile
    My best reading experience of the year have been a quite famous trilogy:  "The girl with the dragon tattoo", "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest", and "The girl who plays with fire", by Stieg Larsson.
    A little gory and dark, but I loved them, and could not put them down until the very end.

14. F5487laura profile image61
    F5487lauraposted 12 years ago

It has to be the book I re read every year, Wuthering Heights! It gets better every time.

15. hlynnstephens profile image61
    hlynnstephensposted 12 years ago

I reread the "Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

16. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 12 years ago

I'm a big reader of all literature but have done so little reading in the last one year. The best read for me in the last 12 months--and completely unexpected--is the book "Heaven Is For Real" by Todd Burpo. Inspirational and profoundly encouraging.

17. Chris Qu profile image68
    Chris Quposted 12 years ago

Paper Towns by John Green. I love his writing style and sense of humor. I actually have his newest book in front of me right now, so who knows. If I had waited another week or two to answer, I may have said something different.

18. profile image0
    HubTubposted 12 years ago

The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity by Catherine Ponder.

19. TheWatchman profile image80
    TheWatchmanposted 12 years ago

I just finished "the sisters brothers" .... a nice quick read that I really enjoyed!

20. Unfilteredthought profile image62
    Unfilteredthoughtposted 12 years ago

Really excited about the kindle i got for Christmas. I am a huge Fantasy Nerd; Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons, you name it. When I got the kindle, the first thing I did was download the last book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christoper Paolini. Its geared more towards the young crowd, the author is still immature in a lot of areas, but I have the feeling that I have slowly matured with the author, that we have grown in unison. So that is why I recommend the book, its not perfect, but it recommend it! :]

21. MsKejci profile image60
    MsKejciposted 12 years ago

Can you keep a secret by Sophie Kinsella. I love this book, my favorite definitly! This book  will give you so much  laughter!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)