jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does LOL mean Laughs Out Loud or Lots of Love?

1. Keri Summers profile image87
    Keri Summersposted 6 years ago

Does LOL mean Laughs Out Loud or Lots of Love?

I think I may have used it inappropriately.

2. Larry Fields profile image77
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

It's the former, or "laughing out loud." Several years ago, I had to look up this one myself.

3. sashas89 profile image67
    sashas89posted 6 years ago

Laugh Out Loud. Else it wouldn't be at the end of every chat message on Facebook.

4. wonderingwoolley profile image57
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

I have heard it both ways- but it can be confusing. A long time ago, when I was in high school, and wrote notes to one another, we used a heart instead of the O when we meant "lots of love" and used lol to designate laughs out loud. If I were to type them today I would probably go with "l

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

I've only ever known it to mean laugh out loud or laughing out loud. In some online video games, saying lol will actually trigger your character to laugh. I have noticed, however, that the use of lol today rarely indicates when a person is actually laughing. Whether its on a social networking site or a video game, I find that lol is either a lazy response to something you said (because they don't want to take the time to respond to it) or a way to soften the blow of something potentially offensive or hurtful. For example: I'm SO mad at you for forgetting my birthday lol. Or it can be used to make emotional statements easier for people who don't traditionally display emotion; I want to thank all of my friends for the great birthday party, you guys mean so much to me, lol. Then, you have the lol abusers who seem to use it as a replacement for the period: I went to the store lol and I saw my friend with his dog lol and he told me your birthday party was tonight lol. They're all very annoying, in my opinion.

6. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 6 years ago

When I was in high school many moons ago, LOL was Lots of Luck, as you wrote in someone's yearbook or the back of your photo before you gave it away, now its Laugh out Loud.

7. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

The following text message is hilarious and totally suited to this conversation:

http://bitsandpieces.us/2011/03/08/your … ssed-away/

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Like the rest of the language, meanings change over the years.  When I was growing up, it meant "Little Old Lady," as in, "There was a Boy Scout helping this LOL across the street, and.... "

Now, I take it only to mean "Laughing Out Loud," because I have read "horror" stories of misunderstandings when someone wrote "LOL" to a person whose husband had just died...obviously thinking it meant "Lots of Love" instead.

9. Keri Summers profile image87
    Keri Summersposted 6 years ago

Many thanks for everyone's input.  I feel better informed, and was also interested to hear about changing meanings.

working