LOL, LMAO, ROFL and hehehe

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (42 posts)
  1. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Is there really this much laughing going on out there responding to forum threads?  I have a good sense of humor and smile a lot when reading posts, but seldom do I actually LOL, much less would I be ROFL or LMAO. 

Are you folks really doing all this laughing, or rather smiling, nodding approval and agreement?  Seems to me sometimes people use these virtual laughs to hedge, or to let someone know they speak in jest, since we do not have the benefits of language pragmatics in writing. 

And is hehehe like tee hee hee?  Or heh heh heh, almost like Fat Albert hay hay hay?  The latter of which would be a little creepy.

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Re-read this bit again - gol big_smile

edit - I dunno. The whole thing's making me teeheehee now too. ralwus has set me off

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey! What did I do now? hehe

2. rmcrayne profile image92
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't make me have to separate you two.  smile

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://i38.tinypic.com/e0li4i.gif

this is so funny smile

'k, here's what i do...

when something makes me burst out laughing, i type:

BWAHAHAH!

when somemakes me laugh out loud, i go: omg haha!!!

when something makes me chuckle, i go: haha or hee hee

when something makes me smile i put a smiley face: smile

3. mandybeau1 profile image61
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you could keep on adding and adding, it becomes like Cockney slang. Words are used like" I'm off down  the Frog and Toad,(to anyone else "down the Road" then they get further simplified to What only Londoners (East of Course) understand, Say down the Frog.
      I found it really mental, that the hardest one for me to work out was BTW, and it was really so easy. Hard if you stare at something long enough it becomes a Mish.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind the LOLs and ROFLMAOs, but I must admit the hehehe's are setting my teeth on edge.  Some people seem to use them in every sentence, even serious ones, and it IS starting to sound creepy to me.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad it's not just me, hehehe.

Make that 3 of us! (Notice I'm not laughing.)

2. profile image0
          cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehehe i totally agree hehehe

wink

1. emievil profile image68
            emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry, and you're probably watching Fox or CNN.

3. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Funny you should bring this up rm. I genuinely emitted a GOL - giggle out loud - when reading your post.

As for lolling and lmaoing etc - I think it's more likely a sign of expressing emotion. At least it's better that seeing lots of WTF's and STFU's - which I think is the more likely emotional response on the forum of late big_smile

4. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

lolrolfamoityotgoldonpoo...ya get me!??

Nope, IDGI.  Maybe the ADD, can't be bothered to decode.

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

er no me too! LOL!!

2. elisabethkcmo profile image76
        elisabethkcmoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

5. elisabethkcmo profile image76
    elisabethkcmoposted 14 years ago

perhaps we should make up some new  ones

TJMF  that's just mildly funny

IDGI   I don't get it

NCJS    not clever, just stupid

OKTF    OK, that's funny

You're my new hero[ine]!

1. elisabethkcmo profile image76
        elisabethkcmoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, thanks rm,
        as a matter of fact, I feel a new topic for a hub coming on....
        taking suggestions!   big_smile

It crossed my mind to do a hub on it, but I decided I probably couldn't muster but a couple hundred words.  Go for it girl!

6. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

TJMF - LOL, sorry, I like plain old 'hahaha' or, but not really, 'hardy har har har.'

7. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

i write ha ha ha, when i laugh, cuz it sounds better then the noise i really make. i have found, times i did not add lol, people took me seriously, when i was joking.

1. frogdropping profile image76
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love the sound of laughter. I bet you sound just fine! I emit big mouth frog type laughter - Julia Roberts style. Can't help it and I don't pay attention if someone doesn't like my laughing. Laughter rocks Red smile

Edit - forgot the lol and ....

It was the back end of your post, about CNN and Fox. Tickled me smile

1. profile image0
        rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

laughter truly is the best medicine, if theres no bottle of liqour handy.  wink   i dont really know how to describe my laugh, but my nervous giggle sounds like a guinea pig....

2. rmcrayne profile image92

smile Hey girl, you're good with me.  I even appreciate a good snort! 

Yeah, I use the smiley, because I'm smiling, but figured some were using some variation of laugh to indicate they are joking.

8. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

People have actually said LOL or Lawl or Rofl instead of laughing in real life. Makes me wonder if they laugh when nothing is said and just think to type it when there not laughing. Lol.

~thranax~

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they don't know what real laughter is then, do they?

9. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

LOL - when I'm laughing
    ROFL - when I'm laughing really hard
    ROFLMAO - when my laughter has grown to snorts and spits on the keyboard smile

I guess I could use <snort> big_smile

OK, so you actually are laughing.  Fair enough.

10. profile image0
    elliot.dunnposted 14 years ago

i rarely actually laugh but when i do its very clear.  this forum is a limited medium and a lot of people are eager to twist your words so using haha's and lol's and smile's go along way to smoothing things over.  but i'm definitely going to start using TJMF - haha lol ROFL!

11. Gemsong profile image63
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

giggle

snicker

snirk

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

RBS (Really Big Smile)

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I can't make myself use "tee hee" or the other one (forget what it is now) people use for a mild laugh.  It just reminds me of reading books for young girls when I was a kid, and little girls would do, "tee hee". 

There have been lots of times I'm just out-and-out laughing (all by myself) because of something someone says (or a string of people say), and the LOL or lol is very real.  At other times (corny a thing as this is to say; it's worse than "tee hee"), I'm more wanting to show that I'm "laughing in my heart" and/or hoping to help someone else know I'm trying to be funny.   I never use ROFL or LMAO because I never do either.  On the other hand, there have been a few long threads that have gotten so funny or ridiculous I think there should be a TIGPOFL (think I'm going to pass out from laughing).  There have been a few that just struck me funny because of the mix of people putting in their remarks.  smile  (I'm not really smiling now, BTW, but I'm trying to send others the smile).

13. atomswifey profile image57
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

how would you write it if you really got the giggles but it was late at night and you didn't want to wake anyone up, so you close your mouth and press your lips together really tight, but it starts to slip out and then you just cannot take it anymore because your laughing on the inside has caused you to snort really loud and spew some spit (I know its gross, just go with it), onto the computer screen and keyboard?

How would you abbreviate that???
    would it be something like...
    Lol/on-the-in/liptite/lol.slip/nose/ow/pig-snrt/spit-spat-spu@cpu!LOL
    ?

Well that's a tough one.  Maybe abbreviate further.  Like how you would spell the zerbert sound.  Spppppt?

2. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

happens to me all the time. i write HA HA HAAAHHHHAAA

14. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I DON'T REALLY LAUGH OUT LOUD...... BUT I DO SMILE A LOT

smile

15. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 14 years ago

Can you tell this new hubber how to actually add a smiley face to a hub? I smile a lot, but not enough to evoke eye rolls. (those are cute animations too!

When you open the reply box, to the bottom right, in blue, it says "Formatting Tips".  It shows the variations of the faces, also italics, bold etc.  Smile is colon: then close parenthesis).

16. Gemsong profile image63
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

Heh.

17. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 14 years ago

I have often LMAO reading these, however not ROF.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)