jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is it about your favorite author that makes them so special?

1. LisaKoski profile image95
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

What is it about your favorite author that makes them so special?

In other words, why is that author your favorite?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

She knows how to make certain characters. They are interesting, enthralling, entertaining. I adore the stories they share. I love the way she writes them. Chrispin, Cat, and Vlad. They are astounding!

3. MyGirlThursday profile image78
    MyGirlThursdayposted 6 years ago

Well, I could write a book on it! And I plan to, but the thing about Jane Austen is that she makes something of consequence out of the ordinary. Austen made me realize that there is a story in the every day, and gave me women I could relate to. People don't think it at first, but she actually presents women in situations that we can relate to: women jilted in love, women who have been wronged, women ruled by their finances (I mean, how many of us can say we haven't experienced those things?). I love her because she knows me better than I know myself, and has for 200 years.

4. jessramblings profile image72
    jessramblingsposted 6 years ago

Maria V. Snyder is a fantastic writer whose characters are always so amazing. I never laugh out loud so much as when I'm reading her books. Her descriptions are also so beautiful and poetic. Even though her stories take place in fantasy worlds, the issues are very modern and her main heroines are always so realistic. The main male from her first trilogy has ruined all other male characters for me. Seriously, I've yet to come across another guy that makes me feel the way Valek does.

Great question, by the way.

5. Marie Gail profile image76
    Marie Gailposted 6 years ago

My favorite authors always put new thoughts into my head. I like to read authors who have the ability to change my mind. Currently the two authors that do this best for me are Cynthia Ozick and Barbara Kingsolver. Reading isn't just a pasttime for me. I like taking away new life lessons from even novels.

6. billybuc profile image87
    billybucposted 6 years ago

Of the current authors it would have to be James Lee Burke....his descriptions of the physical scenes leaves me with the impression that I have been to the locales he is talking about...it is a work of art the way he does it.....past authors....no contest....Harper Lee....maximum effect with minimum of words.

7. mattforte profile image91
    mattforteposted 6 years ago

Well, she's a great write, she's funny, she's gorgeous, and she's mine! ^.^

8. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

Pat Conroy is my favorite author because he makes me believe in what he is writing. When I read one of his books, I am transported to that place and time, and I identify with the characters, even when they are my complete opposites because he makes them so human that you can't help yourself. Also his prose is gorgeous. I've never read another author that makes me yearn to actually smell the same smells and feel the same things as he describes. He moves me in ways I didn't know a book or author could, and because of that, he is my absolute favorite.

working