Who is your favorite author?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 77 discussions (88 posts)
  1. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I tend to read a lot. Fiction, non-fiction, it does not matter.  Some books do more for me than others.  I enjoy many different genres but if I had to narrow my selection down to just one author I would have to say that Clive Cussler is my very favorite.  I love the Dirk Pitt novels.  For those that do not know, Dirk Pitt novels are a mix of historical fiction with an Indiana Jones type of adventure.  The world is always at the brink of destruction and Dirk Pitt is the consumate hero.

I know there are many wonderful authors out there and I tend to read series type books because I get to love the characters. But by staying with my favorites, I deny myself the opportunity to follow new and potentially better authors.  If you had to narrow your selection down to just one author, who would it be and why?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

michael crichton

2. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Patanajali as he crystallizes spirituality like no one else.

3. Migodden profile image69
      Migoddenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Carl Sagan

4. Ivaa profile image72
      Ivaaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love Stephen King. I think he's a true genius for writing stories that send shivers down my spine. I believe it's difficult to make good comic and scary stories and he manages to write some twisted tales. Very few movies and stories scare me, Stephen king's tales have to be one of them.
      My favourite story by him is N.

I also love Ruskin Bond. Contemporary and beautiful stories at it's best

5. Charmain Blogguer profile image60
      Charmain Blogguerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Leigh Bardugo. Apart from her books being non-conventional, she usually finds a way to draw parallels with real life issues like trafficking and rape.

Another awesome writer would be Nora Roberts with her Eve Dallas Detective series.

2. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

Stephen King, C.S. Lewis, Roald Dahl, J.R.R Tolkien, umm sorry I forgot the authur but specifically the book The Kite Runner, Madeline L'Engle, John Lescroart

1. Earthscribe profile image78
      Earthscribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Madeline L'Engle! One of my favorites foreever... Swiftly Tilting Planet was a masterpiece.

In fiction, I also love~

Tanith Lee (Tales from the Flat Earth)
      Frank Herbert (Dune)
      Umberto Eco (Foucault's Pendulum)
      Robert Anton Wilson (Illuminatus! Trilogy)
      Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide Series)

Mind Body Spirit:

HP Blavatsky (Complete Works)
      Sir John Dee (Heiroglyphic Monad)
      Lao Tzu (Tao teh Ching)
      Svatmarama (Hatha Yoga Pradipika)
      Ray Eales (Essays to Keph Ra)
      Ida Craddock (Heavenly Bridegrooms, Psychic Wedlock)
      Aiwass (Liber AL vel Legis)
      Vivekananda (Raja Yoga)
      Patanjali (Mahābhāṣya, Yoga Sutras)
      Perdurabo (Book Four)
      Bruce Lee (Art of Expressing the Human Body)

Physics, Mathematics:

Niels Bohr (The Unity of Knowledge, Holographic Universe Interviews)
      Richard Feynman (The Feynman Lectures on Physics)
      Henry Poincaré (Science and Hypothesis)
      James Gleick (Chaos: Making a New Science)
      Buckmisnster Fuller (Synergy: the Geometry of Thinking)
      Alan Watts (This Is It, The Book: on Knowing the Taboo Against Who You Are)

Biology, Neuroscience, Ecoscience:

James Lovelock (The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning: Enjoy It While You Can)
      Gazzaniga, Ivry, & Mangun (Cognitive Neuroscience)
      J. Allan Hobson (Chemistry of Conscious States)
      Terrence McKenna (Archaic Revival: Speculations on Psychedelic Mushrooms, the Amazon, Virtual Reality, UFOs, Evolution, Shamanism, the Rebirth of the Goddess, and the End of History)

Culture, Gender Studies, Media Studies:

Camille Paglia (Sexual Personae: Art & Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickenson)
      Betty Friedan (Feminine Mystique)
      Joseph Campbell (Hero with a Thousand Faces, Power of Myth)

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Charles Frazier, Richard Russo, Bernard Cornwell, Phillip Gulley

4. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

Sticking to one author will eventually alter your mindset I believe. If you are not too fussy about contemporary writers, I suggest you check out the duo Larry Collins & Dominique Lapierre. The book I have in mind is entitled "Or I'll dress you in mourning."

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Just one?  Gene Stratton-Porter

6. TamCor profile image77
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

My all-time favorite is Dean Koontz, and has been for many years...

But there are also so many other terrific authors out there, and I try to check out as many as I can!

7. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I could never just go with one, my favorite author often changes depending upon what I've read lately. 

But some long-term favorites include:  Joseph Heller, Ray Loriga, Hunter S Thompson, George Orwell and Bill Bryson.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I somehow forgot Bill Bryson on my list.

1. profile image58
        Blackngoldbananaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bill Bryson is awesome, I'm glad you mentioned him, or else I would have forgotten.  I also like John Le Carre and Dean Koontz, John Grisham and was addicted to Clancy books for a while.

8. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Stephen King. J.D. Salinger. All other authors are very good, no doubt. I read at least five books a week, at least, and the thing I've discovered is that most good authors always write trying to make awfully good. You can tell right away that they know they're good and are trying really hard to meet that expectation. For me, an author ceases to be that good when that happens. That's the thing I like about King and Salinger is, they give me this wuchmacallit - I'm good but I dont give a damn vibe. And besides, I think my sense of reasoning is very similar to them both.

9. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Stephen King-The Dark Tower Series

All time favorite

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant stuff.

10. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

PG Woodehouse...nothing beats him for a good laugh

11. profile image0
    nazishnasimposted 14 years ago

Oscar Wilde *drools over*

1. Carlos Santo profile image56
      Carlos Santoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wilde is outstanding. However, I also do like Dickens but I'm not sure if I like the idea of liking Dickens or if I actually do like his works, Great Expectations is great though.

12. JonTutor profile image60
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

Isaac Asimov.

13. anime_nanet profile image60
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

Terry Pratchett

14. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Only one!?!?!?!?!?
    I am not sure that is possible...P.D.Grimes, Anne Perry, James Harriot, G.K. Chesterton, Pauline Gedge, Lois Hole (was queen of Gardening Books and Chancellor of University here, also was Lieutenant Governor - great lady)
    Sorry, I'm over limit - too many great writers...big_smile

15. Mason Hymas profile image58
    Mason Hymasposted 14 years ago

I've always enjoyed Orson Scott Card.

16. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I love Danielle Steele.

17. Zabbella profile image76
    Zabbellaposted 14 years ago

Dean Koontz...mystery all the way

18. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

mystery writer John D. MacDonald

19. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

steinbeck without question.

20. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Sidney Sheldon (sp?) loved all his books
    James Patterson, into his right now and read almost all of them

As a kid, what girl didn't love Judy Blume?  Seriously, loved her!

Can't pick one, well, maybe just myself smile

21. profile image0
    randall malcolmposted 14 years ago

WALT WHITMAN FOR SURE! Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking!

22. C.S.Alexis profile image83
    C.S.Alexisposted 14 years ago

Kahil Gibran, Jack London, Zane Gray, Waldon, do not know if I spelled all the names right....and these are just a few ...way to many to think off the top of my head.

23. indian cooking profile image62
    indian cookingposted 14 years ago

Charles Dickens

I also think Veda Vyasa as a great author. After all he wrote the great Epic Mahabharata!

24. laura-g profile image60
    laura-gposted 14 years ago

Hi, Nobody has mentioned Peter Robinson of the Inspector Banks series (21 books in total I believe) He's really good.

although I have to admit my favourite author tends to change. Depending on what I am reading, I seem to become addicted and have to read everything by that author.

25. Mike Craggs profile image68
    Mike Craggsposted 14 years ago

It depends on what sort of mood I am in. Any of the following would do for a start:

Janet Evanovich, Henry David Thoreau, Charles Bukowski, Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammett, Sue Grafton, Richard Stark, Peter Hoeg, Albert Camus, Knut Hamsun, Ivan Turgenev and many, many more.

26. Flerity profile image59
    Flerityposted 14 years ago

Scott R.R Bakker is probably the most prolific author of out there today. The Prince of Nothing series is simply amazing

Jerome Flerity

<snipped links - no sigs please>

27. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

This man... He is my god.
    https://eee.uci.edu/faculty/zimmerman/uspomo/kurtv.jpg

28. usmanali81 profile image61
    usmanali81posted 14 years ago

HARUN YAHYA (Adnan Oktar)

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1373125_f520.jpg

Quoting from the 22nd April 2000 issue of New Scientist, Mr. Oktar became an "international hero" in communicating the fallacy of the theory of evolution and the fact of creation. The author has also produced various works on Zionist racism and Freemasonry and their negative effects on world history and politics. Besides these, Oktar has written more than a hundred books describing the morals of the Qur'an and faith related issues.

Harun Yahya's works, translated into 57 different languages, constitute a collection for a total of more than 45,000 pages with 30,000 illustrations.

29. mirandalloyd profile image60
    mirandalloydposted 14 years ago

Only one? Man, this is going to be tough...

I'd have to say Douglas Adams.

30. Valerie F profile image59
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

If I had to pick only one, it would be C.S. Lewis.

31. Watch Tower profile image60
    Watch Towerposted 14 years ago

I love fiction, and these are just the top authors that stick out in my mind when ever I am asked or see this question, Who is /are your favorite Author/ Authors ?

Anne Rice, more famous for her Vampire chronicles, however she has written a number of edge of your chair reading like the the Mayfair Witches.  Piers Anthony for his Incarnation of Immortality series and Xanth Novels.Gorden R. Dickerson. Charles De Lint for the Green Mantle a truly speel binding read. Terry brooks for Kingdom for sale Sold series
    Ursula Leguin for the Earth Sea Trilogy.  Nicholas Luard For Gondar.
    Christopher Paolini for Eragon ( FYI once agin hollywood destroys an excellent book in film media )Eldest, and Brisinger

p.s

Sorry impossible for me to pick only one. but if I really have to then Anne Rice, no, Piers Anthony.. EEEK I give up

32. Chloe Comfort profile image61
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

Jean Auel, Robert Jordan, and Brian Lumley (can't choose just one). All 3 authors are incredible.

33. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

gabriel garcia marquez.

34. elainevc profile image61
    elainevcposted 14 years ago

Hard to say but i think its Jodi Piccult for her incredible real life-based stories

35. Jenny30 profile image60
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

I read  pretty much  fiction and non-fiction books. I love humor but a good suspense is always great as well!!! Sophia Kinsella is one of my fav. British authors. Mary Higgins Clark is another great one!

36. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I have quite a few Stephen King, Iris Johnson, Deen Koontz, John Saul, J. K. Rowling. And a new favorite is Ridley Pearson! smile

37. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

So many....Jane austin, J.k rowling, Stephen king, George orwell, h.g.wells....so many.

38. AllMomNeeds2know profile image61
    AllMomNeeds2knowposted 14 years ago

I love Sophie Kinsella, all of her books are fantastic, funny, and you just feel you know the characters.

39. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

The author I have returned to at more stages in my life and have re-read his books is CS Lewis.

40. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

The list of my favorite writers is a mile long...so many fabulous writers
    Gwen Bristow, Clive Cussler, Wilbur Smith, Janette Evanovitch, Elizabeth Peters, Nora Roberts, Dean Koontz, John Saul, Michael Crichton, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, Cornelia Funke..........

41. world of the wise profile image68
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

Ellen G White

42. world of the wise profile image68
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

Ellen G White

43. Earthscribe profile image78
    Earthscribeposted 14 years ago

Oh Bard, yes I shouldn't forget CS Lewis! A very influential, classic author.

Did you know he was involevd in Druidic revival as well? (I just noticed your affiliation on the profile.)

44. katacham profile image61
    katachamposted 14 years ago

Ok, so after much deliberation my ultimately favourite author would have to be Tolkein. The depth and clarity of Middle Earth in which his characters have been allowed to flourish, for me is sublime. His writing is smooth and his description is particularly vivid for me. I admire his frequent passages of song and poetry as they truly lift the books into the realm of fantasy.

However, i have to say that upon seeing the films, my imagination has been ever so slightly stumped; Peter Jackson directed them a bit too well. tongue

45. lawretta profile image63
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Jane Austin "Emma"

46. JonM73 profile image61
    JonM73posted 14 years ago

Peter Straub, Raymond Chandler, and William S. Burroughs. In that order.

47. marshall92 profile image65
    marshall92posted 14 years ago

Dan Brown is my current favorite. His writing is simple, but his books are fun to read.

48. theduckie profile image58
    theduckieposted 14 years ago

stephanie meyer,Frank Beddor,Cassandra Clare,J. K. Rowling,Louis Sachar,L. J. Smith.

Theres many more but I thought I would only post a few.

49. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

tough picking one, so I'll pick two. H P Lovecraft - great horror short stories, and Alastair Roynolds.

1. mirajraha profile image60
      mirajrahaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

H.P. Lovercraft is impressive too.

50. mirajraha profile image60
    mirajrahaposted 14 years ago

Sir Arthur C. Clarke,Tom clancy,R.A Salvatore,Satyajit Ray...and many more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)