jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What does the quote "Take the high road" mean and where does it come from?

1. YogaKat profile image87
    YogaKatposted 6 years ago

What does the quote "Take the high  road" mean and where does it come from?

2. ptosis profile image73
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6135919_f260.jpg

The high road to heaven in narrow and steep (morally superior)
    The low road to hell is wide and broad.

Matthew 7:13
    "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

3. Sparklea profile image76
    Sparkleaposted 6 years ago

I was raised by my grandparents, and their best friends, who were a little younger than they.  One of their favorite pieces of advice to me, when I was upset about someone who said something nasty to me, or hurt me, was "You take the high road."  I could probably research that quote on google, but I think their advice to do this meant to "be the better person" and not behave like those who offended me.  To just go on my way and not hurt back.  Although I believe they were correct with this advice, and I always choose not to hurt back, I sometimes have a problem with people getting away with being rude or nasty.  But I have to remember what goes around comes around.  It's called Karma.  How we treat others always returns to us in some way or another.  It may take a long time but what we put out there eventually returns to us in some form.  This is my opinion only.  Thanks for asking this thought-provoking question.  Sincerely Sparklea

4. aslaught profile image60
    aslaughtposted 6 years ago

I believe it means,  "to keep oneself above the fray,"  so to speak.  To not allow oneself to become embroiled in conflict, etc.

5. mary-deo profile image56
    mary-deoposted 6 years ago

“Take the high road” is arguably one of the most cliched pieces of advice around. You’ve probably been given it at some point in your life, and you’ve probably given it, too.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/celebrity … a-bullock/

6. Rufus rambles profile image80
    Rufus ramblesposted 6 years ago

I think it means to avoid stooping down to the level of those that hurt you - i.e. not trading harsh words or actions in revenge. However sometimes 'turning the other cheek' can mean more bullying and put-downs. I'm not sure whether avoiding conflict or the harsh reality of conflict is always the answer. However it is a good thing to aspire to.

7. RPirate profile image61
    RPirateposted 6 years ago

What i see is the peak of success when i read "Take that high road".

Reach for it, reach for the peak of success. It's endless, so keep succeeding.

8. calpol25 profile image67
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

Take the high road is also a quote from a scottish song - You take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I will be in scotland a for yee.......  really old song but it comes from there too smile

working