jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Anybody have any thoughts on getting published in an Anthology?

1. savanahl profile image70
    savanahlposted 6 years ago

Anybody have any thoughts on getting published in an Anthology?

Are there any pros?

2. Nell Rose profile image93
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

HI, I had to answer this one, because a few years ago I did get published in an anthology. I won a poetry competition and they wrote me a lovely letter saying it had won, and they were going to publish it. I was really pleased, then I read the small print. If I wanted to see my poem in print, I had to pay 50 pounds, about 90 dollars for the book! as I didn't have the money at that time I never saw it, and haven't bought it since! but of course if you can afford it then its great!

3. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Like Nell Rose, I have won several contests that publish the work in an anthology.  And as she wrote, you can buy the book to see yourself in print. I never did, but I did see one of the anthologies and they were horrendous.  Thousands of poems, tiny print, a very unpleasing format. 

I really see no advantage to getting published in an anthology unless it is put out by  reputable publishing house and not a scam for the publisher to make money.

4. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

You get invited and then as Nell and duffsmom said, they ask you to pay for the publishing cost.

5. Don Crowson profile image74
    Don Crowsonposted 6 years ago

I am a member of the Poets Roundtable of Arkansas.  We publish anthologies every other year.  If your poem wins $5 in our state contests, you may publish your poem in the anthology for $10. Other states have anthologies at different prices. But $10 is resonable.  The poem  I am haviong published this year won $25 in one contest and $15 in another.  I don't mind paying $10 to have it pubnlished. 

There are several state organizations that offer contests and anthoplogiers if you are interested.

6. rlaha profile image67
    rlahaposted 6 years ago

You could always self-publish your work. I have.  I went to www.createspace.com, created an account and followed the instruction on how to publish my work.  I am now a self-published author on Amazon.com.

7. randslam profile image83
    randslamposted 6 years ago

Do you see a trend here?  I suggest to my students they write a "chapbook" or publish a compilation on Smashwords.com for free...CreateSpace affiliated with Amazon...is also free.

Poetry.com, the online telephone book scam, uses onion skin paper to publish thousands of "award-winning" poetry.  They invite you to pay $65 for your copy and read your poem in Florida, hosted by a forgotten celebrity--usually a singer.

Be very wary of any poetry contest...make sure it's legit...and don't send them money.  You're better off publishing on HubPages if you are a volcanic poet that must allow your hot words to flow down the literary mountainside.

8. PDXKaraokeGuy profile image88
    PDXKaraokeGuyposted 6 years ago

I don't see any cons, unless you have to pay to buy you copy of the book, like poetry.com does. anthologies are a great way to get your name out there!

9. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

Maybe some prose but...sorry, couldn't resist!  I'd just be careful and very wary of most invites as buying a copy seems to be a greater requirement than writing good poetry.  I don't mean to paint all such ventures with a broad brush, but by and large it's usually a money-making scam, as can be very quickly discerned by viewing some of the writing they portray as stellar and publishable.