jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you ever have moods that make you feel as though you should stop writing or d

1. Tams R profile image84
    Tams Rposted 6 years ago

Do you ever have moods that make you feel as though you should stop writing or delete your work?

2. ziyena profile image89
    ziyenaposted 6 years ago

Of course, it's only human nature ... I think at some point in time everyone of us has felt a moment of discontent or insecurity with our work.  In my opinion, the key to those unbalanced moods is quiet meditation and a whole lot of perseverence. Never give up and throw your hard work out the door.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Oh yes, I have felt that way.  And at times I want to delete my stuff here and close my account, get rid of my facebook account and on and on.  I think for me it is a symptom of depression and thankfully it passes.

4. kc1176 profile image61
    kc1176posted 6 years ago

It happens to me most of the time, but I never give up! I stop, take a deep breath and relax for a while. As soon as I am able to recuperate, then I continue writing. smile

5. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago

Certainly do. I have a kind of self-critique going on in my head all the time. Sometimes I'll look at work that's been reasonably well-received, yet on (my) later review, seems unworthy. Other times I feel that my ideas themselves are unworthy of actually being written.

The biggest challenge for me (can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think I'm likely to be the only one) is to avoid letting my self-esteem as a writer be affected by lack of feedback / response; or in the case of AdSense, lack of real return.

We all write to express ourselves. But publishing your work into a vacuum can be soul destroying.

On the other hand, I've deleted a great deal of work over the years, before it ever saw the light of day. Not being rude, but I've also read, and continue to see here on HP, a great deal of 'work' that I feel should also have met the same fate.

Sometimes, your 'negative mood' might just be your rational mind telling you something you should take notice of.
    smile

6. SMD2012 profile image97
    SMD2012posted 6 years ago

Yes indeed! I actually did delete my writing a few months ago and I am here to tell you how much I regret it now. You see, I was writing a very successful blog with plenty of followers, traffic and daily comments. But then I got into a month long funk and I felt like I couldn't deliver good content to my readers anymore. I felt they deserved better. To their dismay, and my own later, I deleted all of my posts, shut down the blog and deleted my feed. Although I still have all my old posts backed up, I just don't feel like I can go back to my old blog.
    If you can hang on during a rough phase, then hang on as tight as you can and don't let go until the phase has passed. You'll get through it.

7. wiserworld profile image91
    wiserworldposted 6 years ago

I've never felt I had to delete it, but occasionally there are times or moments of doubt were it could be time to put the pen away. The problem with just putting it away is that you can always buy another pen to use.

working