jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Do you ever feel a book within you and don't know how to get it out?

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 18 months ago

Do you ever feel a book within you and don't know how to get it out?

2. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 18 months ago

Lots of ideas come and go for alternatives to the saga series I'm over halfway through completion on. It's time that's the bugbear, but that's probably down to me.
    I had a book 'on the stocks' some years ago, that centred on a potential war crime committed on a POW after crash-landing in fields near where I lived back in the 50s-60s. I'd been to the Imperial War Museum (no laptops or internet in the late 70s) and done research through books etc. Just as I was about to start banging away on my typewriter (remember them?) I learned that someone else had published a book by the same title, 'The Day Before Yesterday'.
    That was the proverbial 'wind out of my sails'.

3. ptosis profile image76
    ptosisposted 18 months ago

I have stories that I can tell of the things that happened to me but don't know how to but it in a book, it would be just a bunch of isolated chapters.

1. alancaster149 profile image86
      alancaster149posted 18 months agoin reply to this

Heard of 'Bridget Jones' Diary'? That might be a good base to start from. Invent bits to tie it together and give it to someone to read. Work on it a bit more, show it to someone else. Who knows where it'll take you?

4. Paxash profile image97
    Paxashposted 18 months ago

I have several unfinished novels sitting around because I can never seem to get myself to consistently sit down and write. I end up ignoring them for months and lose motivation. I have them all banging around in my head, but it's hard for me to put it all down on paper.

5. WordCrafter09 profile image76
    WordCrafter09posted 18 months ago

Pretty much no.   If I really have a book that I want out I'll get it out.  Since I'm not interested in fiction or creative writing in general, I imagine that accounts for my lack of interest in any books that I don't know how to get out.  The more I pay attention to who has books out there, and who wants to have one out there, the more I realize I don't want to be one of those people.  At this point in my life the word, "book", (at least with regard to writing one; I don't mean reading someone else's) makes me want to to vomit.  So so the words, "article writing".  In fact, so (much of the time) does the word, "writing".

1. threekeys profile image80
      threekeysposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Wordcrafter I am not sure if I have read your comment correctly. You hate "books"....the words connected with what you do...".writing".."hubs=articles" (to me). I don't understand. So why do you "write' here at hubpages?

2. WordCrafter09 profile image76
      WordCrafter09posted 17 months agoin reply to this

I don't hate other people's books.  I just don't have one that I can't get out.  Although I don't really write Hubs these days I haven't ruled out writing any, and for now I'm not comfortable (yet) "just deleting" all my stuff.

6. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 18 months ago

I do have that feeling at times, then i switch on the ignore mode.

7. Theophanes profile image97
    Theophanesposted 18 months ago

Sure, if your mind is constantly going in a million directions like mine there's little time to catch all the thoughts flying by. Besides writing I also sculpt, knit, and create things with other media. There's always something I want to do/make/write. Sometimes I get to it, sometimes I don't, and often I get something half finished before moving onto something else. When it comes to writing though my biggest difficulties are length - everything ends up a novella and I want novels, and mood. I have to be in the same mood writing the end and middle of something as I was when I began or the narration changes tone and it's all messed up. I have a couple stories on the back burner which I desperately want to finish but I don't think I will ever be in that dark of a place mentally again... and it's a shame. They're profound stories I want to get out. And sometimes characters and stories fade in your mind and you can never come back to them. Making an outline, setting up time to write, and joining a writer's group has all helped me in the past. Sometimes you just need encouragement from someone who gets it.

1. alancaster149 profile image86
      alancaster149posted 18 months agoin reply to this

You start small and build up bit by bit, articles, novellas if you have to, then books. A page and a half of manuscript works out as a page of print/e-book. These days the average book = 350 pp, you decide how many chapters.

8. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 17 months ago

Yes and yes. I am currently writing a book and I am trying to sort out what goes in where and how much. Very much a wonderful thing to ponder but at times it can bring tears.

9. skperdon profile image85
    skperdonposted 17 months ago

Yes, yes and yes. If it's a very engaging book it lingers for a very long time I even read it again. What can I say, I have it bad!
    I don't want to get rid of the feeling though.