What are some tips on drawing children's illustrations you can share?

1. KrystalD profile image78
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

What are some tips on drawing children's illustrations you can share?

I love writing for children but have always been nervous about illustrating (though I know I do not have to do this to write). I amreally interested in trying and your drawings are beautiful. Do you have any ideas of where to get started? Different medias?

2. Colten Garrett profile image61
    Colten Garrettposted 6 years ago

I'm a pritty good drawler "sorry about spelling" but when you draw for children don't make it to detailed but also make it a line drawing that has meaning and shows your words. example I write "It was a cold, misty night, it had fog that spread across the vibrent green feilds, that isolated all life itself". you would draw using shading grass up close and going on back. I hope this has helped : ) just remember not to detailed it will be hard for children to follow along.

3. Little Light profile image84
    Little Lightposted 6 years ago

Thank you for your question and encouragement KrystalID. I think the best place to start is always with a pencil and just fiddle with sketches until something feels right. Then if you like try with an ink pen. Some methods and tools will sit more comfortably with you than others. For me, I have never had formal art training, I just used to draw all the time as a child. Mainly with pens and pencils so that is where I am most comfortable.

It is all about trial and error and being ok to throw stuff away you are not happy with. I've really spent the last five years refining my illustration style (which sounds disheartening but it has been the best process of confidence and creating a style I can hopefully be recognised by). I think I may need to consider writing a hub on this soon! (I have been busy completing the illustrations for my first book).
    So I suppose my main tip is have a go and keep persisting. Use what you feel happy in using and just practice drawing your interpretations of animals, landscapes and people. Hope it all goes well for you!