jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Who writes in Wikipedia? And does Wikipedia always give correct information?

1. Nare Anthony profile image71
    Nare Anthonyposted 6 years ago

Who writes in Wikipedia? And does Wikipedia always give correct information?

2. bell du jour profile image61
    bell du jourposted 6 years ago

Hi Nare,  Wikipedia is written by many voluntary contributors.  They endeavor to provide correct information but if you ever notice an error you can contact Wikipedia and ask them to correct it.  They welcome critique from readers.
    Hope this helps:-)

Bell

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Yes, anyone can write for Wikipedia. That is the main reason you should only use Wikipedia as a first step in your research.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Basically anyone can write in Wikipedia. And no. Since anyone can write in Wikipedia, say a mentally ill individual decides to change some information on a page? Anyone can read that and it would be incorrect. It is never wise to get information from Wiki.

5. That Grrl profile image73
    That Grrlposted 6 years ago

You should always be double checking information you find online. I don't see fact checkers on many sites. You have to DIY!

6. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

Anyone can contribute to Wikipedia. For that reason, it is not considered an authoritative reference. In college writing, you will get a fail for using it. They do edit it and try to get references for it but they are not entirely successful in that. It can be used to get ideas of where to look and perhaps ideas but it is not really a good reference for information.

7. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

Anyone can write for wikipedia as most people have said in previous answers. I have to admit, I do quite a bit of chemistry research there (although I always double check the information) which is written mostly by those in the field. I have actually looked up some information on the eyes the other day, just to see how accurate the information really is. I was surprised to find the majority of the information was correct, but there were several, rather large, errors which I corrected, although I didn't get all the way through the article with my corrections due to time constraints. Wikipedia is a gret starting point, but they are not infallible. It is best to recheck the information, preferably in books by respected authors on the subject, or trusted websites.

8. deorganicchurch profile image84
    deorganicchurchposted 4 years ago

No. Popular Wikipedia pages can be controlled by page trolls that prevent any information they disagree with from being retained in the article. They monitor the page and simply revert back to the previous version of the article to delete all of your changes.

working