jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Which is the lengthiest word in English dictionary?

1. Lovely 7 profile image69
    Lovely 7posted 6 years ago

Which is the lengthiest word in English dictionary?

2. Nare Anthony profile image73
    Nare Anthonyposted 6 years ago

Though I hardly consider this a word.

Others are:

1. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
    2. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    3. Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism

3. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 6 years ago

There are many claims to the longest word. A consistent,validated, currently in use contender is worthy of 30 letters and is a medical condition 'pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism' .... A word meaning 'nonsense' was coined as far back as 18th century and is ' floccinaucinihilipilification' at 29 letters.

Some dictionaries list ' supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' at 34 letters from ' Sound of Music' !

There are many chemical compounds that may vie for the longest 'word' title, such as 'dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane'  but they strictly don't count and not in most dictionaries.

4. wkhigley profile image59
    wkhigleyposted 6 years ago

I've actually had a number of discussions about this when I taught. Kids seem to be very interested in this question. It just depends on what requirements you're putting on the term. Do coined terms count? technical words? People often seem to have an idea that there is a single, official English dictionary, when there really isn't.

The one I always here people refer to as the longest is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, abbreviated as P45, as Nare mentioned. It refers to a problem with the lungs caused by inhaling silica dust.  Some would claim it doesn't count because it's technical and coined, though it has appeared in several common English dictionaries.

Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamyl...serine, which she also mentioned is the longest technical, published word, consisting of 1909 characters. However, I'm just getting that from wikipedia, it isn't one I'm otherwise familiar with.

The chemical name for connectin is much longer, with something like near 200,000 characters(189,819 after checking wikipedia), but you probably wont find that in a  dictionary and when you count chemical names you start to run into semantic arguments about how we define "word".

5. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

antidisestablishmentarianism - Unless those other one's are actually real.

6. profile image47
    bill garciaposted 5 years ago

the longest word has 1,909 letters.it is the term for a tryptophan synthetase a protein,an enyme that has 267 amino acids