jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you have a system for creative writing?

1. MPChris profile image78
    MPChrisposted 6 years ago

Do you have a system for creative writing?

For me personally, I have developed a system. I have a research sheet that I develop (often with genre stories). The only time I abandon the system is when inspiration strikes randomly. However, I use editing notesheets and my own filing system for tracking submissions. Do systems help or hinder you as a writer?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Yes, I write and use my imagination.

3. mordorr profile image75
    mordorrposted 6 years ago

This is a cheeky one I use for play writing, and it is stolen from David Bowie.
    Place a lot of names for the cast into a hat, and this can be any type like duck, murderer, pirate, angel,  dog, and then mix them up. Then choose six, or however many is needed and it is best to have double the required amount. Then do the same for the theme, so ghost story, murder mystery, comedy, and again place them in the hat, and then choose one. If you have a lot of short stories, or plays to write and a deadline this method can help.

4. AEvans profile image78
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

A system for creative writing? I don't really have a system I write what inspires me. If it is heavy on my heart, then I write about it. Some of my work still remains unpublished because the moment has to be right to complete the work.

5. buckleupdorothy profile image84
    buckleupdorothyposted 6 years ago

I suppose systems are helpful to keep you consistently productive - in terms of scheduling times to write or giving yourself deadlines or specific goals/challenges.

Of course, the system you develop for yourself would depend very much on the goals you've set for yourself.

working