jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

When you're reading the comics silently, do the characters all have your voice?

1. SandyMcCollum profile image67
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

When you're reading the comics silently, do the characters all have your voice?

Or do they each have a different voice that's not yours?

2. profile image61
    Edwin Brownposted 6 years ago

Wow, this is a stopper.  Sure, they have voices, but my voice?  I think like a lot of people, my first reaction is to say:  "lemme see.  I never really paid much attention."
    My best guess at this point is - some for sure, but I can't say "all".

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

They each have a different voice that is not mine. To make it seem more like a comic clip, or a movie. That way it's more enjoyable.

4. Mr. Happy profile image81
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

I usually can relate to the protagonist or to the character in the story. I like Batman (one of many) and when I read Batman comics, I do see the world of the comic book from his perspective and with his voice.  At the same time I have read more dark comic books like the Joker (for example or Scalped) and then, the perspective changes and so does the voice ...
    I think it also depends on how well the artists can draw the reader into the story. I love the X-Men too and yes, they all have their own personality, character and voice.

That's just my opinion. : )

5. Cassandra<3 profile image61
    Cassandra<3posted 6 years ago

To me they all have there own voice, so when i read them out loud it drives me mad that I can't portray the voice in my head. Like "lburmaster" said its more enjoyable that way smile

6. networmed profile image61
    networmedposted 6 years ago

It depends... If I am really interested in the story... I can make the voice for each character. Making it more interesting to read.

7. Fozia Arif profile image61
    Fozia Arifposted 6 years ago

off course there are some.Its natural when we read silently,at least there are one character that have our voice,thought or idea.

8. Beth100 profile image75
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Funny question... in a good way....  no, each character has their own voice.  big_smile  I suppose this is from my days of acting on stage.  smile

9. Teylina profile image60
    Teylinaposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not. That would spoil the joy of reading. Some characters I relate to may resonate in my mind as though their actions or words feel - feel - like me, but every character is his or her own persona. If a book doesn't "catch on" quickly, I put it aside; the characters aren't real. Some times a book is "good" but can't get into it so put it away. Even years later I may pick up same book and love it. But the people are always themselves; their voices, etc., theirs. To me the sign of a good writer.

10. Maximum A profile image85
    Maximum Aposted 5 years ago

i imagine them with different voices - like each character is an actual human being