jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What does stay behind to define our generation?

1. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

What does stay behind to define our generation?

I have got a handwritten letter from 1850 in my hands and it made me think about being alive in another time: reading by candle-light, nightfall with absolute darkness, the only heat available from fire, journeys take months and years and most people live in the exact place they are born, there are tools but no machines, seasons matter and animals are essential...
    I look at my laptop now and wonder which bit of our life is going to be the most important artefact to people a few generations from now...

2. rhondakim profile image74
    rhondakimposted 6 years ago

Music!  It can be relevant long after it's created.

3. hoteltravel profile image70
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

A few generations from now, most work will be done by machines without any human involvement. Even now, machines have replaced humans in many fields. Even as mechanization of work has many plus points, lack of human touch will be sorely missed. So, anything made by a human without help from machines will be cherished. My uncle, who is a doctor, wrote a book set in 2070 on how a patient longs for human doctor instead of robot doctor.

4. old albion profile image71
    old albionposted 6 years ago

One will be the the Almighty Internet, two will be the Computer in all guises and three will be the all conquering Mobile Phone. Nothing in the future will operate without these. None of these would work without electricity so thats my choice.
    Best Wishes.

5. Eugene Hardy profile image61
    Eugene Hardyposted 6 years ago

Hard to say.

I think that what we have to contribute to our legacy has yet to be fully developed.  Perhaps it would be the culture that finally solve problems like poverty or national debts.

My personal bet would be the beginning colonization and industrialization of space within the next 20 years.

6. teamrn profile image66
    teamrnposted 6 years ago

I've kind of thought about a similar situation; I learned to use computers, but the generation after me or after them Or after them, GREW UP on computers. They've known nothing else but texting, etc. In 100 years, maybe less, another generation will be thinking, "and that was considered MODERN in those times?" They'll be accusing me (long dead and gone) of dinosaur technology, when I think right now on my laptop, I'm state of the art.

On many occasions, I've wondered what life would be like, only going to the market (because it was 5 miles away-and all I had was my own 2 feet!-once a week, wearing clothes until 'laundry day' like you said, reading in the eve (or going to bed) by candle light, not living much beyond 35. Having to buy a block of ice for the ICEBOX, not the refrigerator. To me, I;d love to be a fly on the wall: or just live those days-FOR A WHILE!

7. sasanka7 profile image61
    sasanka7posted 6 years ago

If we consider the comments of the great scientist Stephen Hawking, then within next 100 years we have to take shelter into another planate as the entire mankind may extinct within 200 years. In comparison to the progress of science of last 100 years it will be a few hours journey to other planet which is till unimaginable.