What is the difference, if any, between faith and hope? Can you define them?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. BrokenDreamer profile image60
    BrokenDreamerposted 6 years ago

What is the difference, if any, between faith and hope? Can you define them?

Are hope and faith the same thing? Is there any way to define them without using the other one?

2. profile image0
    elijah77posted 6 years ago

hope is what we want and everyone wants dont you? faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen.......blessings

3. msorensson profile image69
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. It is my favorite definition of faith. Against all seemingly plausible probabilities, you expect it to happen, whatever it is. Hope is the positive expectation of that which by logic seem improbable. When you hope, you are following logic. When you have faith, you totally override logic.

4. Mekenzie profile image83
    Mekenzieposted 6 years ago

I'll take a stab at it.  smile
    Faith means that you believe in something or someone though you cannot see it or the person.  Like having Faith that air is present .. though we cannot see it or even feel it at times.  It is a knowing, not just thinking maybe, that it is true.  In the Biblical sense, without Faith (In His Son) it is impossible to please God.

Hope in the Biblical sense is not a wish ... it is a sure thing!  As a believer in Jesus our hope is in what Jesus did for us on the cross .. He gave His life that we might live eternally.  Our hope is in Jesus life, death and resurrection.  It is being certain of the hope of eternal life which Jesus provided by dying (in our place, paying the penalty for sin) on the cross.  Our Hope is fulfilled through Jesus and His provision of  forgiveness and the sure hope of Heaven.  Because He lives we also live.  Without hope it is impossible to see God.

5. Nomascus concolor profile image60
    Nomascus concolorposted 6 years ago

Faith has a religious connotation, wherease hope does not. They are completly different things to me. Faith is a belief, hope is looking forward with expectations.

6. flashmakeit profile image67
    flashmakeitposted 6 years ago

Hope is a wish or desire for something.  Faith is loyalty and trust.

7. ramesh kavdia profile image59
    ramesh kavdiaposted 6 years ago

Faith means you are sure and have trust from your side, hope means you are not sure just waiting or expecting that this thing may happen.

8. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I have faith in whatever I am doing and success follows.

As for hope, I am always hoping for the best to all the people I care about that they will have a better lives.

Hope to me is a wish that things will go the way I want for others. As for faith, it is me that have the strength to do things and succeed.

9. cleaner3 profile image73
    cleaner3posted 6 years ago

I am a simple man .
    All I do is try the best I can
    all the other answers
    they show the way
    they are very logical.
    I can only say
    I have faith that my poetry
    will come out the right way
    I hope that you will like my poem
    and that it will make you smile
    and take away your blue
    for Dreamer this is poetry for you.

10. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

So that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.(Titus 3:7)

Christians speak of the "blessed hope," the promise of Christ's return. We have faith that what God says is true. We believe.

Faith is a conscious choice; hope is a state of countenance.

11. raquelpier profile image70
    raquelpierposted 6 years ago

Where my faith falters at times, my hope kicks in. I am only human, in other words, I am wrong more than I am right. Thus, if I have doubts or misgivings about my faith, hope won’t allow me to give in or give up. read more

12. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 6 years ago

Hope is wishing that everything will be okay. Faith is knowing that everything will be okay.

13. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Faith is knowing, without a doubt (very difficult for some) that something will happen it's just a question of when, and the true definition of trust.

Hope is unfortunately a wishy washy dream or sometimes a goal that is really stretching the limits.   I think we all do a lot of hoping when the odds are really stacked against that which we are hoping for, whether it be someone who is very ill or winning the lotto..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)