jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Would the Punctuation Police please assist me in using the colon properly?

1. Larry Fields profile image81
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

Would the Punctuation Police please assist me in using the colon properly?

Sometimes a colon is used to separate two related clauses. I hope that you don't mind a little recursion here. My question is this: Is it correct to capitalize the first letter of the second clause, as I have done in this sentence? Some writers are staunch 'capitalists', while others are 'anti-capitalists'. I'm slightly confused about this.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6384196_f260.jpg

2. bohemiotx profile image81
    bohemiotxposted 5 years ago

A colon is most commonly used before a list of items separated by commas. A colon can be used instead of a comma before a formal quotation within the customary pair of quotation marks. Furthermore, a colon can be used to introduce something conclusive at the sentence's end, so it's like a dash in those cases.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

It is said that to capitilise or not is optional, I have always gone for small case , a colon isn't the end of a sentance, it isn't a full stop.

4. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

It is my understanding that if the part after the colon is a complete sentence you can do either, just as long as you are consistent throughout the entire piece. If it isn't a complete sentence than you do not capitalize it.

Specific style guides have different rules, so if your are writing something which needs to follow a style guide, you'll have to find their rule. Otherwise just be consistent.

5. Larry Fields profile image81
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

I'd like to thank everyone who answered this question. I'm more confident about using colons now.

6. Hezmyjoy profile image60
    Hezmyjoyposted 5 years ago

Though I suppose people would use a colon for just about anything, I will list the times when I use one:
    - when I make a list of things
    - listing things I make
    - and a list making I
    Yes, that right, when there is more then one thing to list in the subject matter of a sentence.

working