jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Do you put the punctuation inside the parenthesis or outside when you end your s

1. LauraD093 profile image84
    LauraD093posted 4 years ago

Do you put the punctuation inside the parenthesis or outside when you end your sentence?

The reason I ask is that it appears to apply differently with many people. I was always taught to put it inside. People have told me that in England it is done this way. Others have said it belongs outside...period!

2. windygreen profile image61
    windygreenposted 4 years ago

Puncuation goes outside of parenthesis (a parenthetic statement is part of a sentence). The punctuation is part of the sentence not part of the parenthetic statement.

3. ExpectGreatThings profile image84
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 4 years ago

I was taught to put the punctuation outside the parentheses if the parenthetical statement is just a phrase within the sentence (like this). However, if the parenthetical statement is the entire sentence, the punctuation should go before the final parenthesis. (I thought this was a very good question.)

4. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 4 years ago

Of you write an entire sentence inside the parenthesis, put the period inside. If the items inside of the parenthesis are part of the sentence, meant to explain some part of the sentence, the period goes outside.

5. bohemiotx profile image79
    bohemiotxposted 4 years ago

You put punctuation outside the parentheses.
    Example: He loves pastor (spicy pork).

6. Annette Hendley profile image90
    Annette Hendleyposted 4 years ago

Is it the same with quotation marks. I use to put the punctuation outside the quotation, but recently read a blog post that said it has to be inside. The word is "blue." opposed to what I believed was the way... The word is "blue". The last option still looks better. Any ideas?

1. ExpectGreatThings profile image84
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I was taught to do the same thing with quotation marks.

2. windygreen profile image61
      windygreenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

if the statement inside the quotation marks is a complete sentence, put it inside .  If not (as in your example above "blue") , put it after.

7. Carola Finch profile image98
    Carola Finchposted 4 years ago

I beleove that the The Associated Press stylebook, which most publications go by, says to put it inside.

8. davidlivermore profile image98
    davidlivermoreposted 4 years ago

I've done both and I can't figure out which one is correct.

working