jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much detail is too much in a book about child abuse?

1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

How much detail is too much in a book about child abuse?

Should sexual abuse be detailed or vague to keep people from feeling uncomfortable. Is it poor taste to be detailed?

2. Rosemay50 profile image79
    Rosemay50posted 5 years ago

You can suggest what happened without giving too much detail. People don't want to hear/read the graphic details. Readers have their own imagination and common sense to fill in the gaps.
    Write your book with sensitivity.
    This is my opinion so I hope it helps.

3. DanaTeresa profile image83
    DanaTeresaposted 5 years ago

Consider why you are proving the details. Do they serve a purpose? And what purpose is it? If details are necessary and if they strenthen your work, then I say include them. BUT be sure you have permission from anyone involved to go into detail, and be sure to warn your readers if it is a level of detail that might be disturbing. Do not provide details just for the sake of doing it.

4. Marturion profile image59
    Marturionposted 5 years ago

I agree with DanaTeresa.  Details added to correctly portray the moment are far different than details put in to add shock value.  Any book about child abuse will stir strong emotions - and rightly so. ( If we ever get to the point where we don't find ourselves moved and angered by it than there is something seriously wrong. )  But the point of the book should either be to inform, or to bring the reader through to a point of hope and resolution - or both, if possible.

working