jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Has the quality of fiction for adults decreased or has the quality of teen-targe

1. Crystal Tatum profile image88
    Crystal Tatumposted 5 years ago

Has the quality of fiction for adults decreased or has the quality of teen-targeted fiction improved

Why are books for teens, like the Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games series, capturing the attention of and devotion of adults?

2. Dancilla profile image70
    Dancillaposted 5 years ago

I think those books are catching their attention because of the plot and the excitement.  But now that they are making most of them into movies it seems they want to read those more.  Since I work at a library, the book The Hunger Games has about 120 people requesting it.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

The quality of fiction for adults has gone down. Mainstream titles are either rip-offs of old plots or attempts for big name authors to continue a franchise that has run out of steam. Young adult works are more edgy (Hunger Games has kids killing kids, something adult fiction didn't do much of 20 years ago) and more dystopic (tapping into adult angst of the future and that of kids).

4. MisterH profile image59
    MisterHposted 5 years ago

I think children's fiction is going through a golden age at the moment with some great stuff being written.  However, I don't think adult fiction is going through a decline of any sort and I believe there is still a huge number of great works of fiction coming out each year.
    The reason I think adults are reading children's fiction is because a lot of the great adult fiction is really challenging and it may be that a lot of adult readers are put off by some of these books.  On the other hand, it may be just that more adults who wouldn't normally have been readers are turning to excellently written children's fiction as a way into books.  Let's hope it's the latter.