Should parents borrow money from their adult children?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Shelly McRae profile image69
    Shelly McRaeposted 12 years ago

Should parents borrow money from their adult children?

2. Moon Daisy profile image81
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

I would say that parents shouldn't borrow money from their children, but sometimes circumstances can't be helped, and it happens.

3. arunabha0368 profile image62
    arunabha0368posted 12 years ago

Hi Mam,

In India, it is a general tradition for children to live with their parents in their old age and to help them in their trying times, it might be financially or otherwise. So the question of borrowing money by parents doesn't arise. Its the duty of the children to help them monetarily now when they are grown up.

However, there might be some exceptions (not-so caring children).

Thanks
    Arunabha

4. algarveview profile image73
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

I don't think that they should. At the same time adult children should not borrow money from parents. Unfortunatelly, sometimes life does not go as expected and bad things can happen. In those exceptional situations I think that it's okay for either to ask for help. The problem is that sometimes it's not an exceptional situation, sometimes some parents think that the children's money is also their money and that the children have an obligation to help (the opposite also happens). This is a very big problem and it's hard to say no to parents. This creates a lot of problems and the relationship is bound to get damaged on account of it. So, my opinion is, if things get rough, exceptionally, yes, it's okay. Make a living out of it (amazingly this happens), no, it's not okay, it's very bad and it's a poor example of parenting.

5. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

No, I don't think they should. My feeling is that most parents do EVERYTHING they can to help their children succeed, therefore, if an adult child has the means to help their parents a bit later in life, they should just help. I'm not talking loans, I'm talking about GIVING. I'm also not talking about fully supporting them, unless there's some sort of medical/extenuating circumstance. For example, if my mother said she had to pay an unexpected bill, but was going to be short on either food or heat, I'd give her what she needed to get by, with no precepts about repaying me. Believe it or not, most parents won't even accept it. I've had parents-in-law rip up checks and refuse to cash them.

6. LauraGT profile image86
    LauraGTposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, I think more and more people are faced with this problem of older parents being unable to support themselves.  At least in the US, our culture is not set up for adult children to support their parents. It creates a lot of friction and stress, especially when the adult children are also struggling to pay for their own children's needs.  I don't really think there is a right or wrong, but I do think the adult children should do what they can to help their aging parents, without sacrificing their own or their children's futures.

7. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

why not. i lent my wife's mom $37,000.00 to buy a house 3 years ago. it saved her a bundle on interst and it made it easier for her to live. it's only money and the day it becomes any more then that to me, i'll get rid of everything i have and become a hobbo.

8. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 12 years ago

Yes! I don't see why not.  My parents do that sometimes and I have no problem with that.  Most of the times I just allow them to keep the money.  If they are in need I will certainly help, as long as I can help, they are my parents.  There are times when I am faced with financial constraint and can't see my way through and who to turn to but my parents.  So, what? One hand wash the other.  Well that is my take on the matter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)