jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are there better ways to help people who make writing errors than to poke fun or

1. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 5 years ago

Are there better ways to help people who make writing errors than to poke fun or make nasty remarks?

I must admit that I have been guilty of not proofreading before publishing comments; that's suicide.

2. dagny roth profile image80
    dagny rothposted 5 years ago

Of course.  Personally, I would prefer blatant, honesty.  I am here to improve and certainly consider fellow hubbers to be mentors as well as co-workers so to speak.

3. Khal Blogo profile image60
    Khal Blogoposted 5 years ago

Tell them they should check it once before publishing. Imply that you think that those mistakes exist because they were in a hurry, and not because of another reason.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I always start criticisms/edits by first outlining what is good about a piece. Saying what is strong, and what is working, will help ensure the writer that you didn't hate their piece and it has positive elements to it. I also try to give examples about how I've made similar mistakes; implying that nobody is perfect and we've all made these mistakes at some point or another. And, while I'm not sure if it's helpful or not, I try to start with things like "I think this" or "it might be better like that" because then it's more of a suggestion rather than a blatant "You're doing it wrong; this is the right way!"

5. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Yes, there are always better methods of helping other writers without ridiculing or chastising them. It reflects a very poor attitude and a person who is not only rude, but short sighted in their poking fun at others. Many psychiatrists would take great delight in exploring the motives of such individuals and their poor attitudes. Perhaps it was a problem they may have suffered in their writing attempts in the past. Perhaps they gain feelings of power or strength in belittling others.Could they have been the products of an over bearing parent who gave them the same treatment in childhood. I suspect they would not deal with the same treatment as gracefully as many, if the shoe was on the other foot. I say keep on writing and may God bless you in your attempts. The reading of others to serve as models in their writing can be a great way to inspire them in their development. Famous authors, poets and those well known for writing prowess, may well serve in helping new writers along the way.