jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your favorite dystopian or anti-utopian novel?

1. krissalus profile image80
    krissalusposted 5 years ago

What is your favorite dystopian or anti-utopian novel?

With the recent popularity explosion of "The Hunger Games" and my own desire to write a thesis on the topic of dystopian and anti-utopian novels, I've been wondering which novels from these genres---if any---have made it on to anyone's favorite list. So, anyone have a favorite?

2. profile image0
    Rukhaya MKposted 5 years ago

George Orwell's "Animal Farm" is my all-time favourite...with the lines ""All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

3. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 5 years ago

Brave New World... it haunts me as I hear the news daily.

4. Doc Wordinger profile image96
    Doc Wordingerposted 5 years ago

I'm not a big reader of Dystopian or Utopian literature but I'll go with Aldous Huxley on both counts.

Brave New World - Like xstatic has noted, you can witness its ugly prophecies in the evening news, eighty years after it was written.

Island - In contrast to Brave New World, Island is Huxley's vision of a better way of living. Huxley was 'the intellectual's intellectual' and Island, being his last novel, feels like a coming together of his work and reading in the realms of humanism, philosophy, medicine and sociology. The ending, without giving too much away, is one of literature's greatest indictments of the our addiction to oil.

5. buckleupdorothy profile image84
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

In addition to the one's mentioned, I'd suggest Margaret Atwood's 'The Year of The Flood' and 'Oryx and Crake'. You can see my hub for a description:

http://buckleupdorothy.hubpages.com/hub … Insomniacs

Closed to reply