jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Fairy tale popularity boost

1. cocopreme profile image95
    cocopremeposted 5 years ago

Fairy tale popularity boost

Why have fairy tales received such a popularity boost lately?  There are several fairy tale based shows on tv now and several movie remakes of fairy tales coming soon.  Why are fairy tales so in vogue?

2. Lwelch profile image92
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

I can think of two reasons... first maybe when the economy is down fairytales would become more popular as a means to escape reality.  Second, maybe they were popular about 30 years ago.  it seems that trends reappear after 20-30 years when we grow up and either want to share something with our kids or are feeling nostalgic.

3. flashmakeit profile image70
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

I think the reason Fairy tales are being produced more is because of all the new technology being used to make a fairy tale look realistic.  The methods they now use makes fairy tale interesting to adults as well as children.

1. Lwelch profile image92
      Lwelchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

interesting theory.  With special effects like we saw in Harry Potter (ok not exactly a fairy tale) Movies have more to work with.  I have seen a few more books out as well though.  I am really  hoping more adult fairy tales show up in literature

4. Medievalist profile image79
    Medievalistposted 5 years ago

The popularity of Harry Potter and LOTR helped drive urban fantasy as a genre, and fairy tales are closely tied to urban fantasy.

5. girlgonestrong profile image61
    girlgonestrongposted 5 years ago

It's very hard to develop something that is original.  It's a lot easier to take a story already ingrained in the public consciousness and put a new glitzy spin on it.

working