jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Are you a songwriter? If so, what comes first to you - music or lyrics?

1. Kenny J Butler profile image72
    Kenny J Butlerposted 5 years ago

Are you a songwriter? If so, what comes first to you - music or lyrics?

Some songwriters have the lyrics finalized then work on music, some have music and struggle with words, while others have a little of both as they work on the two at the same time. Where do you fit in?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6521346_f260.jpg

2. thelyricwriter profile image92
    thelyricwriterposted 5 years ago

In all honesty, they are both equals. Musicians will say music and lyricist will say lyrics. I write lyrics and I would say the words matter the most:) It is the perfect mix of both of them that make a great song. I find it easier to write lyrics when I have music to it. I can then figure out the beat and rhythm. I can write without music as well. I keep a beat in my head and have an idea of what the rhythm would sound like. It may be just me, but if I had to choose, it would be the lyrics. The words are what people relate to. People decide if the song will be popular or not. You have to have a song that people like and relate to.

1. Kenny J Butler profile image72
      Kenny J Butlerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer! Personally, most of my songs have been written with the music and lyrics coming together as the work progressed but I am always curious as to how others proceed with it.

3. profile image0
    BethDWposted 5 years ago

When I first started writing music I was new to the process but I had been writing poetry for some time, so I would write music to fit with my lyrics. Now it's the other way around, usually the music comes to me first and the lyrics follow. I find that the way I write now makes for better songs.

working