jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you consider a good book to read?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image76
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What do you consider a good book to read?

When choosing a book to read, how do you choose which is a good book? The author because of his credibility and past authorship, the story, lessons learned, readability, practical usage?

2. msorensson profile image73
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

When I was young I read about anything and everything. When I got older I only read, outside of school, religious books..

The answer is dependent on what interests you at the moment.

There was a time when I only read Ayn Rand...

3. hetal varma profile image60
    hetal varmaposted 5 years ago

In my case i am a moody person.... i really avoid most of the fiction one because some time i got too much attached with the subject which does not exist in practical world
    I mostly read books on current topics, history or something which can enhance my career, my life something knowledgeable....

4. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 5 years ago

The best book is God's Word.  I love reading, but this one is certainly my favorite!  It comforts, convicts, and encourages!

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

If the book is well written. I normally read one chapter or some of the book to understand if I would like to read more about it. Is the story good? Does it follow a story line that makes sense? Is it psychologically possible? Are the characters interesting? Do the characters connect to my life style or my desires at all? Etc.

6. Clive Donegal profile image78
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

I think that I have an answer for every mood.
    I like to read the writing of people who care about words and ideas.
    Two of my favorite books are "A Tale of Two Cities" and "Wuthering Heights." I have read the former more times than I can count. I love the way Dickens sets everything up in the first chapter and then weaves all of those bits of subtle foreshadowing into the rest of the story. I love his well-rounded characters and the fact that seem to discover something new every time I read it.
    The latter is more of a mood piece. Brote takes her time to set a mood and then to devlop it, with a bit of goodebumps, mystery and surprise thrown in.
    T.S. Eliot's poetry is rich with imagery and diction. He uses words in such a way that they have levels and facets of meaning that shine and twinkle or wink shyly from shadows.
    I also like the Harry Potter books, especially the first, so filled with whimsy and delight. Rowlings has a gift for finding --or creating-- the perfect word.

7. inevitablesecrets profile image73
    inevitablesecretsposted 5 years ago

My favorite newer book is The Fault in Our Stars.  It's an enjoyable read with little nuggets of wisdom within.

working