How did you get started in translating, amateur or otherwise?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image83
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

How did you get started in translating, amateur or otherwise?

What advice would you give someone who was interested in getting into translation?

2. Paul Kuehn profile image95
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

I got my start translating Chinese while I was in the Navy.  My skills were further refined while I worked for the federal government.  One of the best ways to get into translation is by applying for a job with a government agency such as the State Department, Central Intelligence Agency (C.I.A.), F.B.I., or the United Nations.

3. Ciel Clark profile image74
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

The CIA is always hiring, if that is of interest.  (My uncle was not pleased when I was thinking about it!)

I took a translation class in college and translated a book from French into English.  I thought about translating as a career and almost went to the Monterey Institute (CA.) and then changed ideas. 

Maybe ten years ago I put my resume online and got a request to apply to the CIA because of my languages. 

I would recommend that someone interested in translation is interested in what he or she is translating.  Most of the jobs I've been offered are technical brochures. ZZZzzz

Due to relocation issues, I did not follow up on the CIA job, although to me it sounded quite interesting.