jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Are you feel more creative when you're writing if you use a pen and paper instea

1. TrahnTheMan profile image60
    TrahnTheManposted 5 years ago

Are you feel more creative when you're writing if you use a pen and paper instead of the computer?

2. Eric Calderwood profile image83
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

Yes.  For fiction writing especially, I feel much more creative and more free when writing with pen and paper.  It's probably the way I was trained.  When I was a H.S. student, computer time on the old Apple IIe's was precious and you had to have everything written out already before you could input anything into the computer.

TrahnTheManposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I can relate Eric. I even have a nib pen with ink for when I'm feeling especially creative. That's a blast from the past: the Apple IIe was my first machine too! Not quite the same experience as a MacBook Pro...

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. I always have to have notebooks. Scribbling ideas, more descriptive and intricate details. It just feels more lifelike and entertaining that way. The computer is a cold machine with little motivation to offer. So I only use the computer for hubpages, not my stories.

Nice insight Iburmaster. But don't tell your computer you think that!

2. lburmaster profile image84
      lburmasterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

With all of the issues I have on my computer, it already knows. smile

4. Marlin 55 profile image74
    Marlin 55posted 5 years ago

I use both. As I write, I always have a notepad and pen sitting next to me. As my writing sparks new ideas, I jot them down on paper.

Me too Marlin. I feel less restricted with pen and paper but for longer discourse I go to the keyboard.

5. Alexander Mark profile image82
    Alexander Markposted 5 years ago

I'll be the spokesperson for the new generation - I feel way more creative, writing on the keyboard (of a computer) because the medium allows for a much smoother flow and I can change as much or as little on a page as I want. Plus, I never learned to type properly, but I found my own way and I absolutely love typing away at a computer keyboard. It seems so antithetical to the creative process. I wrote my first book (badly written, self published) on an old laptop.

I have pondered what it would mean for my desire to write if all computers stopped working suddenly, and I know I would really hate it. But I would find a way to write I'm sure.

But, I always have a notepad and pen handy for ideas, doodling, exploring story structure and so on. So I'm definitely not completely weaned from the pen.

One thing I will NEVER do is use one of those speech to text programs like Dragon, those are from the Devil!

Haha! Good for you Alexander Mark! HAL would be proud ;-)

working